[ 43 ] fate

Unedited but yes I'm back from the dead my apologies| CHAPTER FORTY-THREE|

| CHAPTER FORTY-THREE|

" At some point, after surviving a certain amount of tragedy, you have to believe you are strong enough. "

"Stay awake, don't close your eyes!" Laken barks, abruptly shaking me, her voice harsh

"Stay awake, don't close your eyes!" Laken barks, abruptly shaking me, her voice harsh. Even with a rock lying over half my body, I could feel the shake of her hands, her voice higher than normal. She was worried, as I should be, if I was scared of death. I didn't even know if someone was coming to dig us out, or if anyone was alive up there.

Lifting my head up slightly, I meet her eyes. "You're wasting your time on me. Try to dig yourself out," I insist, my voice light and breathy, unable to take a good breath in. The air was filled with dust and ash, remnants of the building still crumbling above us.

She shakes her head. "No, you don't leave people behind. Not unless there's no hope," Laken insits, scrambling to find anything to use as leverage. As young as she is, Laken knows exactly what she needs that would get the rock off of my stomach. Wincing at the small movement, I wonder what I broke this time. My ribs perhaps, or hip. But it didn't matter, since my lungs are bound to give out any moment.

"Stop doing that!" Laken grabs my wrist again, shaking it violently. I keep nodding off, wanting to shut my eyes and numb the pain, stop the struggle to breathe. Her eyes flicker to something lower, her hand going to my pocket, digging something out abruptly. I don't object, not wanting to inhale any more smoke or dust than I have to.

"Radio Bellamy," She insists, holding it out to me. It was so tempting, to hear his voice telling me that it'll be fine, and that I'll make it out of this to find Octavia and Clarke okay. But I couldn't. That's not what Lexa would want, and that's who's orders I have to follow.

Shaking my head, Laken's eyes widen. "No," I say, unable to push the device away from my face, the one taunting me to follow what I want. "I can't distract him, he'll worry too much." Which was true. If he knows about this meeting and the missile, his mind would not be focused on the task at hand. It would be Octavia and I, the people he cares about. Rightfully so, but the majority would loose from that, all of our friends and the grounders in Mount Weather.