[ 40 ] acceptance

CHAPTER FORTY

CHAPTER FORTY

" she realized acceptance means that regardless of how personal what happened is, there is something bigger at work. "

THIRD PERSON

THIRD PERSON

Bellamy's eyes open to black.

Black blood, that makes his already hoarse throat burn. That stains his hands and legs the dark color. He felt sick— a mixture of anger and the fact that someone could be this cruel.

Cruel enough to land him in the same cell where Avalon almost died. Where she did die. They hadn't even bothered to clean it, instead just dumping their next blood bag into it.

And suddenly he can't stand it. Bellamy can't stand the fact that this is where she spent days, alone, knowing that death itself was better than this. That she was alone here. He has to get out, to kill the Mountain Men before anyone else ends up like Avalon.

Arm out stretching through the bars, he tries the lock using all his weight to pull against it. Bellamy's body slams backwards, his grip falling. The person beside him mutters something weakly in the grounder's language, and he glances over with defeat.

"I can't— I don't understand you." Bellamy pants, the exhaustion kicking in from his whole body being tormented, poked and prodded.

The girl leans forward, face thin. "Sky person?"

Bellamy nods, eyes completely locked onto the black underneath him. He imagined what it was like there, from what Avalon had opened up about. But maybe she was sparing him.

Before Bellamy can even look up, he hears the noise, bracing himself for the spit. And maybe he did deserve it, but war is war and there are always casualties.

Wiping his face, he looks up. "I take it no one has told you we're not enemies anymore? No ones gonna be here much longer."

The woman begins to sit back, looking intrigued. "So she did it," Mumbling, Bellamy's brow furrows. Who did she know, that wanted to get everyone out of here?