[ 24 ] the long game

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

the sad part is that when they ask her what she's living for, one of the few things listed was not herself. "

I gasp for breath much to my dismay, realizing how trekking miles through the woods would wear me down

All the more reason for me to fight, not run. I can't risk running anymore. So I would learn how to fight. Like a grounder, like a sky person.

Raven had fallen beside me at the back of the pack, the two of us being broken. It was a comfortable silence, the two of us never actually angry with each other. Everything we did was for the other, and all she wanted was for me to be okay. I couldn't truly be angry for that.

"I'm sorry," I mutter under my breath, glancing sideways at the brunette. She scoffs, looking down at her feet.

"Not sorry enough to take a break," Raven says dryly, looking towards me with a sad smile.

I sigh heavily, willing myself not to loose my patience. "You can't say that. You can't tell me that when you're here yourself, Raven. I spent so much time letting them take my blood, letting them use me. I won't do that anymore," I shake my head defiantly, hoping she could understand that I don't value my own life anymore. After everything, if I died saving my friends, I would be more than okay with that.

Raven falls silent for a moment, stunned by the outburst as the tree leaves fall down around us.

"I get that. But I can't loose you, alright?" She says shakily, the hand by her side trembling. "I need you."

I swallow hard, blinking rapidly, surprised by her answer. I was dead in that Mountain, too close to being gone forever. Doing so, I had realized you can't need anyone, it's not how you survive.

"No, Rave, you don't. I should be dead right now. I could die any day, and I would be okay with that. You wouldn't be, but you would keep going. You don't need me to be the best you can, and you certainly don't need me to save everyone's asses," I smile at her warmly, her expression faltering for a moment.

Raven nods, pursing her lips. "Okay," She sighs, giving up. "But we're family. We put each other first, and that won't change, you got that Rayne?" She grins, hitting my shoulder lightly. I laugh, my eyes alight with happiness. I haven't felt like this in a long time, and I have a bad feeling it's short lived.

It's quiet after that, the two of us thinking about everything we've been through together. Through it all, we've butt heads, but forgiveness was easy for us. We were the one thing each other could count on, and grudges wasted time. That we knew by now.

"Raven," Bellamy's voice comes in through her radio on the channel I had told them to use, a grin crossing my face. "We're falling back now. Tell Avalon east. Over."