20 - I Can't!

RYAN'S POINT OF VIEW

I just revealed significant information about her life to her, but her reaction was... calm? She seemed to be thinking. No panicking, no freaking out—nothing. She was just lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling as if we had just discussed a normal topic. And guess what? It was making me scared.

"You know, Atarah, it would be better if you fell unconscious or something, because I am seriously done with this silent treatment."

I somehow want to get her back to her normal self. I was afraid her mental health would be affected. She has already gone through a lot, and that was why I hid everything from her. And right now, I was regretting my actions.

"I am not going mad, Ryan."

I wanted to tell her, 'I don't think so,' but allowed her to continue. At least she is talking.

"I just feel it's time to end all of this drama."

Did she just say drama? I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, but I just let her be.

"I mean, please, man, how can somebody's life be this complicated? I thought my parents had passed away in an accident, but now you are telling me that they were murdered by some random evil ruler. What's more, the people whom I considered my grandparents are really the ones you recruited to take care of me."

Her eyes began to get watery. I hated it when she cried. Yet I can't utter a word since she has a point. She had been living in a circle of lies all these years, and, out of nowhere, getting exposed to her true self was something so difficult to adapt to. She doesn't want an advisor now, but a listener who will listen to all her sorrows and pain. And I was here for anything she wanted because she's the girl I love.

"You know, Ryan, I used to watch a lot of vampire movies and read those books. I even wanted to be Bella in Twilight. But all those are just my fantasies. It can't come true, can it? No, it can't. You see, I am more than a Bella now. I am a princess; I am a leader. Don't you think it's funny? All this stuff cannot happen to a girl like me, Ryan. I am just a normal human girl who only wishes for some love, care, and affection. It's more than I could take. My life isn't a fairy tale, and I don't want it to be. I am done with this. I want to leave."

Okay, maybe I have been too much of a good listener now.

"Where will you go, Atty? Your parents are from this dimension, and this is where you belong."

She rose from her lying position and sat on the bed, crossing her legs.

"What parents? The vampire and the werewolf?"

She scoffed, took her necklace, and opened the locket delicately.

"They are my parents. Just normal humans who died during an accident, leaving their only child with her grandparents."

Her voice was shaking. God, I want to hug her till all her sorrows disappear into thin air. But now is not the time.

"Who gave you this locket, Atty?"

She looked at me, her hands setting the necklace back in place.

"I don't know. It was there from the beginning. Guess my grandfather gave it."

She's so naive. How many times have I told her he's not her grandfather but my hired employee?

"I gave you this, Atty. The special gift I wanted to give you on your first birthday... was this."

And I am glad I did it. It was always around her neck, and that was the best decision I made in my life. Tear drops rolled down her cheeks like diamonds, and she started crying hysterically.

"Let it out, Atarah. Holding it in will only damage you."

I patted her shoulder, and she cried hard.

"I can't, Ryan. I can't hold on any longer. I am just a mere girl. Why is God so arrogant toward me? Why? All I wanted was a normal life. Please, Ryan, help me get up from this sleep. Please wake me up from this bad dream."

I bit my lips, realizing that she was still just a teenager. Unlike me, she has been in this world for only eighteen years.

"How can I, Atty? When you are the best dream that has ever happened to me?"

And I was true to my every word. Without her, there would be no me. I waited centuries for a mate, and when I finally had one, she wanted to get away from this life. But I can't lose her. Because she was the only one for me.

Atarah hugged me all of a sudden and soaked my shirt with tears. Not that I care. She is going to catch some sickness if she continues like this.

"You know what? I feel like Shakespeare now."

She laughed a little at my unpractised humor, which vibrated through my entire body. How much I want her to always smile. After fifteen or twenty minutes, her crying subsided. I took this as an opportunity to straighten her posture and look right into her eyes so that she could see how serious I am.

"Look, Atty. I know it's difficult for you, but this is the truth. You may see the world as a place for humans, but it's a habitat for many. Sometimes it's the lies that cover the actual world. This is your life, Atty. You are not just a mere human, but one of the most powerful beings on Earth who is blessed immensely with unique powers. But these powers are a boon only if you know how to control and use them. Otherwise, it's the worst curse."

I have never been more patient before, but I have to be, for her and for us.

"How will I?"

She said this, sobbing.

"I don't know. Only Ignacia can teach you that, because she is the real owner of that power."

I felt like explaining to a child, and I patted her hair to calm her.

"Where is she now?"

I think I succeeded a little in changing her mind.

"I don't know about that either. We have to find her as soon as possible. Adrian, Sid, and Helena will accompany us."

"Sid and Helena?"

She asked, giving me a 'is that necessary?' look. I just nodded. She was right, though. It was not a great idea, but still, both of them are helpful in their own ways, and this is a time when I need lots of help, so how can I choose among them? I have talked to both of them about the trip and how important it is for Atty. They wouldn't have agreed if it weren't for her. Sid and Helena seem to have a mutual liking for Atty. I just hope they cooperate.

"What about your father?"

She asked, bringing me back to my senses. All these are making me mad.

"I talked to him, and I guess we have an understanding."

At first, it was really difficult to explain everything to him and Mom. Yesterday, they came to my room and apologized for my dad's behavior. They told me that they would be with me, whatever the situation was. I was partly relieved after that. No matter how strong you are, your parent's support is something that will encourage you to take big steps. Oh, I totally forgot about that.

"And Namrita will be looked after by Rosalie and Eva. I have made all the necessary arrangements."

There was no need for any 'thank yous' because I could clearly see it in her eyes. There was a knock on the door, and in came Sid, holding a bag.

"Enough of these sentiments. It's time to hit the road."

******************************

Don't forget to vote and comment...