Chapter 5

a/n: homophobic slurs.

Camila is lonely and alone. They're two different things. Feeling lonely is that dull aching feeling that follows you around all day. Being alone is, most of the time, a conscious choice, a decision you make, to be alone, by yourself. Because you can be lonely and surrounded by people, they may care about you, love you, but the feeling may not go away. You can be alone and not feel lonely. Unfortunately, loneliness is what she's feeling, and the reason for it is her relationship with her boyfriend. It's taken a toll on her. She's surrounded by people that care about her, her family, Lauren, Normani and Dinah, so why does it not go away? Austin. It's always Austin.

Thoughts of her crumbling relationship are on her mind 24/7, she can't let it go, she loved him, she still does, but does he? He doesn't call, he barely texts, how can someone not make time for someone they claim to love? Maybe he never did love her. That thought saddens her. He's her first love, first kiss, first everything, so she doesn't like to think that she gave all of those to someone that doesn't love her.

"Mila, you need to stop thinking about him. He's not worth it. If he loves you like he says he does, he'll have to show it. Saying it isn't enough. Does he know you're hurting?" Dinah speaks softly as she walks into the living room with a bowl of popcorn and plopping down on the couch.

"I try to tell him, when we talk, which is rare, and he tells me it's all fine and that I'm overreacting. I don't know what to do. I've been trying to fix us and it's not working because he isn't trying. On top of that I have to study a lot and take tutoring classes and I can't focus," Camila rants and blindly reaches for the bowl, successfully grabbing pop corn and throwing it in her mouth.

"Here's what I think you should do. You're gonna put this whole Austin thing aside for a while, you're going to focus on school and keep your grades up. You're gonna do your normal life, okay? You're gonna avoid talking or thinking about him. Think of it as a break. It'll work out in the end, whether that's breaking up or get your relationship back on track. You'll be happy either way, you have Lauren, Normani and I here for you," Dinah sees Camila's bottom lip tremble as she exhales and looks down. This girl is always crying. She pulls her into a hug and holds her tight, "Don't cry, you have people here that care about you. I care about you a lot, Camila. Don't feel like you don't have anyone just because he's being a dick. We're your friends. And you can talk to me about anything."

Camila nods weakly into her chest, "I'm sorry I've been so sensitive lately, I've been so on edge about all of this and about school and it stresses me out," Camila explains but Dinah shakes her head, she doesn't need to.

"You don't have to explain yourself. It's understandable."

Their moment is interrupted by none other than Lauren walking into Dinah's parents' apartment, they are gone for the weekend, it's a good apartment and Dinah decided that she would spend the weekend with her friends. Lauren drops the heavy bags she's holding as she made a quick stop at the grocery store to buy them enough food for the weekend. Her eyes fall over Camila and Dinah looking at her unexpected entrance and she noticed the tear stained cheeks right away, "What's wrong?" She walks over to the couch as Dinah and Camila sit up straight.

"She's fine now. She just had a little moment there," Dinah says, looking at Camila and giving her a tight lipped smile. She squeezes her hand in reassurance.

Lauren doesn't look convinced, she crouches down in front of Camila, "Are you sure? What happened?" She looks up curiously at her and Camila wipes her cheeks with the sleeve of her giant hoodie and chuckles at her friend's genuine concern.

"I'm okay. Anyway, did you buy me what I asked?"

Lauren nods and lets go of her curiosity as to why Camila was crying yet again, though she's sure she knows. She gets up and walks over to where she left the bags. She finds what she's looking for and turns to her friend who's looking at her with eagerness in her eyes, "Takis for you," She tosses the bag at Camila who catches it immediately.