Chapter 7

Lauren's POV

I was woken up by my phone in the middle of the night, well, I thought it was the middle of the night. Turns out it was 6 AM, but the sun wasn't out yet. Grabbing the device on my night stand, I frowned as I saw my friend's name on the screen.

"Camz?" My voice was hoarse from sleep.

"Hey...Did I wake you?"

I blinked, "Um, yeah? It's 6 AM on a Saturday."

"Oh, crap. Sorry. I'll call you back later," She rushed on the other line and before she could hang up, I spoke again.

"It's okay," I heard her breathing, "So, why did you call me?"

"I was wondering if you would want to come with me to the state fair later today? There's like rides to go on and food and I wanted to go," She explained and I tried to focus on what she was actually saying instead of how raspy her voice was in the morning. I was quite surprised that she even wanted to go to the fair, rides didn't seem to be her thing. And why would she call me at 6 AM to tell me something like this?

"Yeah, of course, I love fairs," Lie. I hated fairs. The nauseating smell of junk food and the screeches coming from people going on the rides wasn't really appealing on a Saturday. Also the loud electronic music that I just could not stand.

But what Camila wants, Camila gets.

"Great! Can you pick me up at 2 PM? It's gonna start raining at like 4 and I wanted to get home before the storm," I nodded before remembering she couldn't see me, so I muttered a yes as I thought about the storm that I didn't even know was happening. "You're staying with me, by the way."

"What?" I asked, confused by what she meant.

"During the storm. I don't like storms so..." She trailed offf sheepishly and I smirked.

"Okay, I'll take care of you," I husked and didn't really expect any kind of response. She was stammering for a reply and I decided to put her out of her suffering. "I'm only kidding," I wasn't kidding, "I'll pick you up at 2."

We said our goodbyes and I went back to fit another 3 or 4 hours of sleep before getting up.

The next time I woke up, the sun was filtering through the blinds and shining directly onto my face. Rolling over on the bed, I looked at the time. 10 AM.

Getting up, I hoped into the shower. When I got out, I threw my compression boxers on. I decided to wear and oversized hoodie and skinny jeans. Looking at myself in the mirror and making sure I wasn't showing through my jeans, I headed to the kitchen.

My dad was already up. He noticed my presence, at least I think so. He would barely even look at me nowadays. "You going out?" He asked, reading the paper.

I didn't answer, he didn't really care to know anyway. He probably just wanted me to answer so he could make an unnecessary comment about my condition or something else that bothered him. Everything about my existence seemed to bother him.

I grabbed a carton of juice from the fridge and drank straight from it. "Manners, Lauren," He said, his voice deep as he turned the page. I scoffed at him and shook my head before putting two pieces of bread in the toaster. "I don't want girls in the house today. You keep that," He looked up at me with his lip curled in disgust, "That...Thing you have between your legs in your pants."

"The thing you have too?" I bit back as I shut the fridge door and place my hands on the island counter, looking at him, sitting opposite to me.

He looked back down at his paper and raised his eyebrows, "It's where it belongs."