Chapter 8

Lauren's POV

I took a long drag of the joint in my hand, blowing out the smoke into the cool night air as my friend Jack waited for his turn. We were sitting in my porch steps. I wanted to talk to someone, and it definitely couldn't be Camila because she was the exact topic of the conversation, and it couldn't be Dinah or Normani either because they're her friends too, so that's how Jack ended up here.

"So, what are you saying?" he asked and I rolled my eyes because what was I thinking. He probably had never even given advice to anyone in his life.

"I'm saying, it's weird sometimes," I explain vaguely because even I didn't know exactly how to word it.

"What's weird? Dude, you're being confusing," I gave him the joint and he took it back.

"Our friendship, jackass. Keep up," I threw my arms over my own legs, lacing my fingers through eachother and looked up at the night sky.

"Well," he blew the smoke and I watched it get carried away by the wind, "You gotta figure that out yourself. Though, I gotta admit, she's hot, I would–"

"You're gonna stop right there," I warned him and he shrugged, a chuckle tumbling from his mouth but he ended up coughing as he puffed out smoke at the same time, or tried to. I tipped my head back and laughed. "Gimme."

I took the lit joint from between his fingers and as I took another long drag, a car pulled up to our driveway. Jack's eyes widened and we both got up after I threw it to the ground. I rubbed my hands on my jeans and prayed I didn't look as baked as I was feeling.

It was Camila. Just was my luck...

Then I had a good idea. I pulled out the sunglasses that were resting on my head and put them on, hiding my bloodshot eyes from her. It was nighttime, but who cares.

Looking to my right, I saw Jack staring at my best friend and he looked about 2 seconds from needing a napkin from his drool. She was wearing white jeans...So I let it slide. She sauntered over to us and I enjoyed the cons of having my sunglasses on, letting my eyes appreciate every perfect curve of her body. We really were high. We looked like two idiots, standing there with our arms by our sides. Camila was probably thinking, what the hell?

"What the hell is wrong with you two?" she asked and I laughed quietly, I looked down at my feet in order to subside my laughter that didn't seem to be stopping. She approached me and I didn't move my eyes from the ground.

She placed a finger on my chin and tilted my head upwards. Her eyes locked onto mine and she was confused but a small smile was playing on her lips. "And why are you wearing sunglasses? It's 10 PM," she chuckled and I shrugged. My idea wasn't so good clearly. She slowly pulled the sunglasses off my face, placing them at the top of my head and inspected my bloodshot eyes.

"Are you high?" she narrowed her eyes at me. Jack snorted but she ignored him.

"Nope," I replied and she lifted an eyebrow.

"Is there any reason as to why you're getting high before our studying session?"

Shit. I had completely forgotten about that little detail. I was supposed to help her today, and do some homework of my own. "You didn't remember?" she asked and I could see a flicker of hurt flash in her eyes. I shook my head sullenly. I just let her down. I hate letting her down.

"Sorry...We can still study later?" I suggested.

"How long until you're, like, you know, functional?"

"I am functional," I smirked. "Have you even been high before?"

She shook her head and I grinned at her. "You wanna try?"