NOT A PUSH-OVER

Trigger warning

Trigger warning. Intense. 

__________________________________

To Bell's relief and horror it turns out they will not hike for 3 days but rather they will continue their journey on boat. 

Bell wants to ask why they didn't just use the port that was next to them and why they chose to walk for one day just to get to this one but she doesn't say a word. She looks after Richard and she says nothing else to anyone. 1 day in and she still doesn't know what his name is. The blond. The Boss.  Whenever they speak to him, they whisper in his ears. Either everything he deals with is top secret or they're trying to hide something from her. Either way, it's not good. 

She gets the shock of her life though when she walks into the boat and sees a man. His skin brown, almost black. Bell has never seen one of them wearing clothes this fine and standing without shackles on his hands and legs. 

"You've brought a girl" he says. He has an accent. She's never heard it before. 

His voice also shocks her, sends a jolt through her. It's deep, as deep as the color of his skin. 

He says it like he's uncertain, surprised. 

"yes I have" he says "she's a nurse. takes care of Richard"

"you've brought a girl to a boat full of men" he says again "that's asking for trouble. Men in sea are desperate"

he scuffs "you sound like we've been in sea for months, our journey is only two days from here" 

"but-"

"enough George" he says, his voice weary and not at all tough "she's essential to his survival" 

he grabs his shoulder in an almost loving gesture "let's go to my cabin shall we?" 

he looks back "Jared show her where she will be staying and tell the captain to move" 

Jared glances at Bell "come on" 

Jared and the rest of the men lower richard's cot down at the lower decks, across where all the crew sleep. 

Suddenly the dark skinned man appears, George. 

"you can have my place" he says and leads her to a small corner, away from the rest of the crew "better than sleeping over there" 

"thank you" Bell says quickly 

he looks like he doesn't know what to do with those words. He eventually nods.  

"I have a question" she says quickly 

"just the one?" 

"Couple actually but I'll like this one" she says "where are we going?" 

He smiles at her and Bell welcomes it, feeling like something lifted off of her. Finally someone she might tolerate. 

"we're going to the king's castle" he tells her the name of the city and she gulps