Chapter Twelve

Such a beautiful, unique banner! Thank you so much xcourt_neyx for sending this in! (:

If you would like to send your banners for Faye in, my email is open! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 2075

~Faye

"This is foolish, and you know it."

Glaring at Cal, I brush a piece of lint off his shoulder. "The suit looks lovely on you, I'm sure it will fit him."

Cal is having this suit fitted in place of T, who I agreed to having as my date to the ball tonight. Luckily, Cal is almost identical in stature to the assassin, so instead of risking anything with T, I'm having my personal guard step in. The sour expression on his face hasn't diminished since we began this.

"What are you wearing tonight?" I ask absentmindedly, watching the tailor circle the Huntsman.

"My usual," he mutters, nodding toward the fighting leathers dumped on the chair to my side. "I will be working, after all. More as well, since you're letting that Silent out of his cell, for a reason you still haven't told me."

It's been a week and I still haven't told Cal about what I heard. Not once has it been brought up that he has a secret I don't know about. Now I have one on him, and it's to do with a sister I once had. And to add to this all, I haven't spoken to T, so his opinions on tonight will be kept hidden until I next lay eyes on him.

I've convinced Cal to watch him while he showers and gets ready. Of course, to make sure the Silent doesn't lash out.

For whatever reason, I know he won't. I just know.

T has a reason for going to the ball. He mentioned he has people to speak to, which I plan to monitor the entire time. If he is organising a bailing out situation, I will have to be careful. I've simply come to the conclusion that I have no idea what is going to happen tonight.

"Trust me with this," I say, placing my hands on Cal's shoulders. He looks skeptical, which is his job, I suppose. Under this suit, I feel his tense muscles, which must have developed from working for me.

"The second he threatens you, or anyone else at the ball, he's gone, straight back to his cell," Cal says darkly, and I nod dismissively. I expected nothing else.

Taking a step back, I admire the Huntsman. "You do look rather handsome in this suit."

A suggestive smile curves at his lips. I've never complimented him like this before, but when I see him in this suit, that T will be wearing later tonight, I can't help myself. Plus, I want to see if he will keep to his promise. He promised the Silent that he wouldn't make any advancements on me. Naturally, I have to test if this is true.

"I'll have this taken down to the prisoner," he says softly, and I smile.

"Thank you."

***

"Are you nervous?"

It's moments like these where I love my mother more than anything. It's also the same moments where I wish I had a normal female friend who wasn't hired to keep me company. If only the Goddess could directly communicate me to help me to help me select which dress I would wear. It was such a difficult decision I barely had time to get T's tie back to him in time.

"Should I be?" I ask, fidgeting with my earring. Mother doesn't know I'm taken T as my date. She doesn't need to.

"Of course not. You know almost all the guests coming," he reassures me, her hand rubbing my thigh affectionately. Her hand shudders with sickness, making me swallow uncomfortably. I hate seeing her so weak and frail.