Trust Me

Jung Hoseok has been living off the streets since he dropped out of high school. His parents didn't care; they never even knew they had a son most of the time. He fought the wild dogs for bits of unspoiled meat, begged small diners for a free meal. He was so skinny that you sould see every single one of his bones. No one even dared to go near him out of fear and disgust. Hoseok slept wherever he could; be it someone's front porch, a bench in a park or at a bus stop, sometimes even in a dumpster if he was tired enough. When it was raining, he'd sneak into people's garages or sheds and camp out until he either got kicked out or the rain stopped. Hoseok's been cursed, shot at, disowned and abandoned. He wished he wasn't alone anymore.

Kim Taehyung had graduated high school with a 3.9 GPA, gotten into medical school to be a nurse, made great money. He had a nice, big house with just his cat for company and a wonderful circle of friends. Taehyung got along with everyone; some were jealous of him for that trait. According to his close friends, Taehyung was one of the most caring people on the planet. He loves everyone and everyone loves him. That's just how he was, but he was lonely. He wanted someone that would fill the void in his heart.

It was incredibly cold one night, considering it was late January. Hoseok was wandering the streets in nothing but old ripped jeans and a short-sleeve shirt. He was shivering violently, but no one would give him an old jacket or offer a place to sleep. It was nearly midnight, and he was about to collapse from a few weeks without food and the numbness of the cold if he didn't get somewhere warm fast.

"Excuse me, sir? You do realize it's January, right?" a man said as he tapped Hoseok's shoulder. He whipped around to face the stranger with a glare, but his expression softened as he saw the concerned face of Kim Taehyung, the young nurse he's heard so much about. It wasn't like Hoseok was deaf; he heard how well people talked about Taehyung. He heard stories of him, how great he is with kids, and he'd even seen the boy help people on the streets. Taehyung had even given Hoseok a week's worth of meal money two summers ago.

Taehyung took off his large jacket, offering it to Hoseok, who slipped it on slowly. "Th-thanks," he mumbled, earning a boxy smile. Snow started to fall around them, and Taehyung wrapped an arm around the street rat. "It's too cold for you out here, Love. I'm Kim Taehyung. You're coming with me." At those words, Hoseok stopped walking. "N-no. I d-don't know y-you. J-just leave me h-here," he stuttered, attempting to squirm out of Taehyung's surprisingly strong grip.

"It's snowing, you're starving and you won't last long on your own out here. Please just trust me. I can't watch you freeze to death," Taehyung said sternly, sincerity dripping off of his words. "Just trust me," he said softly, gently, eyes swimming with concern and hope. Hoseok sighed as he stared into those doe eyes. "Fine," he grumbled, allowing Taehyung to lead him to his house.

"Your house is pretty," Hoseok pointed out as Taehyung nudged him into the two-storey house. The walls were painted light, calming shades; nothing too dark or bright. It smelled like home, even if Hoseok had never really had a home. "Thank you! My friends Jimin and Jungkook helped me decorate and paint. Can you walk upstairs?" Taehyung replied, removing his coat from Hoseok. Hoseok nodded and slowly made his way up the stairs, gasping when he felt Taehyung's hands on his hips. "Don't fall, Love. I'll catch you," he warned, helping Hoseok up the stairs.

"Go to the end of the hall. It's my bathroom. I'll get you a towel and something cozy to wear," Taehyung instructed once they reached the top. Once Hoseok reached the bathroom, he gasped at just how nice this place was. The bathroom was a blue-ish color, with a large bathtub and separate shower. "I suggest a bath for you. Here; sit down while I get the water ready." Taehyung set the clothes and towel on the counter before moving to the tub, where he started messing with the temperature as the tub filled up.

While the tub filled with warm water, Taehyung helped Hoseok remove his clothes. "Oh, Love. Look at you. And you have a nasty cut on your arm. Let me clean it," Taehyung said, hissing at the nasty gash across Hoseok's bicep; result of messing with an angry butcher.

Hoseok sat deep in thought while Taehyung cleaned his wound. Why was this young boy helping worthless shit like him? Why did he care so much? "Okay, get in the bath and take your time washing. I'll make you something hearty, but easy on your stomach," Taehyung explained once he was done. "Just shout if you need me," he said before walking out the door, leaving it wide open.

How long had it been since Hoseok got a proper shower or bath? He didn't remember, but the water felt so nice, caressing every ounce of his tired body. He sighed and slid down in the water, letting it go up to his neck before taking in a breath and submerging himself completely for a few seconds.

When he came back up, Hoseok decided to try to wash himself. He didn't realize how weak he truly was. "Taehyung," he choked out pathetically, blushing as he heard the boy's footsteps go up the steps and start towards him. "What's wrong, Love?" Taehyung asked, crouching beside the tub. "I-I-I can't..." Hoseok couldn't finish his sentence out of embarrassment, but Taehyung understood him. "It's okay, Love. I'll do it."

Taehyung rolled up his sleeves and grabbed a washcloth and soap, then proceeded to gently clean Hoseok. Hoseok nearly fell asleep as Taehyung massaged his aching body, cleaning away the dirt and homelessness as he hummed an old American song. When the younger boy washed Hoseok's hair, he fell asleep on accident for a minute. It felt so nice and calming; something Hoseok hasn't felt in a long time.

Hoseok was dried and dressed, then carried downstairs and placed on the couch. Taehyung put on one of his favorite cartoons on, keeping the volume low, then handed Hoseok a warm sandwich. "Small, but I don't think your body can't handle much right now, Love. I'm going to change into pajamas and then we can watch television together, okay?" Hoseok nodded slightly and smiled a small, grateful smile.

He managed to eat the entire sandwich before Taehyung came back, dressed in a white shirt and green-checkered boxer-shorts. "Good, you ate! I'm proud of you," he beamed, sitting on the couch next to Hoseok and pulled a blanket over both of them.

"Listen, I know you don't really know me, but I know you. We went to the same high school, Hoseok. I was the boy who'd stare at you every day in the cafeteria, the boy who always left you encouraging notes in your locker that made you smile. I was the one who gave you a week's worth of food money, the one who bribed that diner owner to let you spend a few nights in the back. I should have taken you in sooner, but... God, I hate myself for letting you get so far off," Taehyung explained, tears clouding his vision.

Back in high school, Hoseok had been aware of a freshman boy who always kept an eye on him. Rumors were that the boy had a crush on him, but Hoseok always shrugged it off. He never knew that all the lucky days he's had since dropping out were because of the same scared boy who never actually gathered the courage to talk  to Hoseok.

"Taehyung..." Hoseok whispered, setting a gentle hand on the boy next to him. "I've had a crush on you ever since I first saw you, and I've been watching you die ever since." Hoseok shook his head and scooted closer to Taehyung. "Taehyung, I don't know if you know this, but... I would have died tonight if you didn't save me. You saved me and that's all that matters. Don't beat yourself up," he said, hesitantly leaning on Taehyung to wrap his arms around him.

"And it's okay to have a crush on me still. I might not like you back, but I can definitely learn to. If you don't want to let me go back out there, then I won't. I'll stay with you, and when I'm healthy again, I'll get a job to help you out with expenses and everything." Taehyung sighed and nodded, setting Hoseok in his lap. "Do you trust me?" he asked, leaning back against the couch. "I trust you."

They fell asleep like that; Hoseok on top of Taehyung, who held him protectively in his sleep. Hoseok wasn't alone anymore, and Taehyung had someone that trusted him.

LMAO this was good at first, then went to shit. I'm tired and I'm sorry if it makes no sense. I'm out of it and this was inspired because my best friend is sick and I took care of her last night, so I got no sleep. She'll be just fine tho, don't worry!

Also, someone told me I look like the girl version of Taehyung, so now they call me Tae. I was like: DAMN THAT'S ONE HELL OF A COMPLIMENT but you need some glasses I'm ugly af. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Happy Days!!

- Jinnie