Palace

"I wish we never built this palace, but real love is never a waste of time."

- Sam Smith

Hoseok moves slowly through the empty house, fighting the headache as the memories resurface. It's completely silent, save for his footsteps and the ghost of his past echoing off the bare walls.

The love of his life, his beautiful husband Taehyung, was truly gone. After years of friendship, years of unconditional love, he left. Although, the last year of their marriage was anything but filled with love. Even their daughter noticed it and tried so hard to keep her fathers together, but all in vain. The love had just run out.

The living room. Home to tea and laughter, cuddling and Disney movies, makeout sessions. So many 'I love you's were said, as well as 'I don't love you anymore.' Still, as Hoseok stands in the doorway, he could see his younger self throwing popcorn at Taehyung, reading with him on rainy days, hiding behind pillows during horror movies. He sees himself five years ago when his daughter was four, standing on his toes and laughing as they danced around the living room. Taehyung sang a tune as he watched on the couch, that big boxy smile on his face as he watched his family.

In the kitchen, he saw Taehyung eating sushi at two in the morning; hair all over the place and honey skin glowing in the light of the open fridge. He sees the birthday cake they made together for their daughter's second birthday. He sees himself and Taehyung holding each other close, foreheads resting against each other as they swayed to the steady, slow beating of their hearts. If he closes his eyes, he can still feel his husband's big hands holding his waist; steady breathing ghosting over his lips. He feels backhugs as he made dinner.

Down the hall, where their married life was measured in photographs lined on the now bare walls, where he stumbled as he led Taehyung to bed, not letting go of his lips. Their daughter running into their bedroom to cuddle after a nightmare. Hoseok's weary trudge to the guest room to cry, where he spent the last six months of his marriage alone in a cold, hard bed.

Sunlight shines in Jaeun's bedroom, making the yellow walls even brighter. Hoseok sees, in the corner, Taehyung sitting in the white recliner, holding their baby girl in his arms. He looks absolutely exhausted, but his eyes shine with pure love for her. He sees himself leaning over to put Jaeun in bed, Taehyung standing right behind him. "I love our baby, hyung. I wish she would stay three forever." Hoseok smiles as he shakes his head. "Me too, Tae. Me too," he says to the empty space.

Their bedroom Hoseok visits last. Countless nights of holding his precious love close to his chest as he slept. Many nights of love-making that made their love for each other that much stronger, that much sweeter. Lying down and waking up cuddled against the love of his life, both of them tangled in each other and the sheets. Waking Taehyung up when he came home from working overtime just to make sure he gets his bedtime kiss, to reassure the younger of their love. "I love you more than you will ever know, Jung Hoseok." Hoseok sighs as he replies with a quiet, "And I loved you even more than you will ever know, Kim Taehyung."

Hushed arguments, false accusations, miscommunication and doors slammed a little too harshly. Cold shoulders, held-back tears and hurt feelings; an unbreakable bond beginning to slowly unravel. None of that mattered when bed time came. Bed time came with quiet apologies, long kisses and promises for better days. But those better days were lonely nights in the guest room or at the dining room, filled with cold air, hurting hearts and silent tears. Those nights were quiet and hidden for the sake of Jaeun; the poor baby didn't deserve this unraveling of her happy family.

Hoseok places his key on the table by the front door as he gets ready to leave. Seventeen years of marriage, twenty-four years of love, all under a single roof. He built this little palace with the love of his life. Now, the ruins were being sold to a lonely miser who was too heartbroken to stay in his own palace. Hoseok could only hope the old man doesn't hear their ghosts running through the halls.

No tears were shed as he says his final goodbyes. "I love you, Taehyungie," he whispers to the still air before he closes the front door for the final time, leaving his love in the ruins of his palace.

two more stories (happy ones) are on their way. Happy Days!

- Tae