Family

alpha-omega AU  because I was out of ideas and was like: why tf not lol

Taehyung couldn't stop smiling. He was standing in the walkway between the kitchen and the living room, watching his mate read an impressively long Stephen King novel. Hoseok looked so peaceful laid out on the corner-couch as he read, eyes gliding over the pages and soaking up the words with a small smile on his face. He was perfectly content as he held the book with one hand, rubbing his heavy belly with his free hand to settle the pups inside.

And that was what made the alpha smile so dopily.

His beautiful omega was pregnant with his pups. Three of them; two girls and a boy. Even after almost eight months, Taehyung still couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that after trying so long, Hoseok was finally carrying their pups. Taehyung's pups. A sense of intense pride and admiration swelled in the alpha's heart the more he stared at Hoseok's belly. He felt bad though; Hoseok looked ready to pop with how big his belly was, but he still had one more month to go. And he also couldn't do much anymore because of his back pain. Still, one more month until the pups would be born.

"Stop drooling, Tae. I'm only sexy naked," the omega teased, not even looking up from his book. Taehyung wiped his mouth and walked over to sit beside Hoseok's legs. "Oh hush, baby. You're sexy all the time," he cooed and his mate laughed, shaking his head a little. "Okay, you dork." Taehyung's large hands slipped under Hoseok's large t-shirt - it was actually one of his - and hummed. "I'm so excited, Hoseokie. I can't wait for our pups to be born," he said gently. Hoseok smiled as he watched his alpha kiss his belly. He couldn't wait either.

"Come one, Hoseok! I swear to god this is the last one!" Taehyung rushed as he squeezed his mate's hand for some form of comfort. The poor omega had been in labor for almost twenty-four hours and he was starting to grow exhausted. They planned to do a C-section, but Hoseok was already too far along by the time one could be scheduled for him.

It hurt the alpha to hear his mate scream in pain. He wanted nothing more than to take the pain away, but he just couldn't. All he could do was watch as Hoseok worked to deliver their pups. Both of the girls had been delivered; the first one, Chungho, was strong and healthy and weighed a good eight pounds. The second one, Hwayoung, also weighed eight pounds and was a little reluctant to be born. It was now down to the boy, who was stubborn. It had been almost an hour since Hwayoung was delivered and both parents were losing hope.

After one final push, the little baby was born. But his cries didn't fill the room like his sisters' did. Taehyung wasn't even able to see him before they immediately took him out of the room and into the NICU. Worry filled his heart as he watched the door close. "I don't hear him," Hoseok panted, grip slowly loosening in his mate's as his eyes fluttered. The alpha held in his tears as he turned back to his mate and kissed his forehead. "You did good, baby. I'm proud of you. Get some rest," he said quietly, running his free hand through his mate's hair as he passed out from exhaustion.

The door opened about five minutes later, revealing a solemn Dr Min. She sighed and beckoned for Taehyung to walk outside with her, waiting as he closed the door behind him before she started speaking. "Alpha Kim, I hate to tell you this, but there's something wrong with your baby boy. He's four pounds. We think the girls had taken up the nutrition Hoseok's body provided them."

The alpha had to sit down. Dr Min sat down on the bench next to him. "This was a very hard pregnancy for your omega. You know that. It's no one's fault, alpha Kim. It's not very common an omega like your mate has triplets. His body tried so hard to support them." Taehyung took in a deep, shaky breath as he tried his hardest not to cry. "He-he's not..." Dr Min shook her head and patted his shoulder. "He's alive. I promise he's alive. He has to stay here until he's healthy enough to go home. Your mate and the girls will go home next week, but he has to stay here for a while."

Taehyung's bottom lip quivered as a few tears fell. He's alive. That's all that matters. He nodded in understanding. "H-how long do you think?" he asked, voice coming out shaky. Dr Min shrugged. "Up to a month. We're hoping that's the most he'll have to stay. You'll be able to visit him, of course. We aren't cold-hearted," she said and the alpha nodded again. "I'll tell my mate when he wakes up. Thank you, Dr Min," he sighed and the beta smiled reassuringly. "He's going to be okay, alpha Kim. I promise."

Hoseok woke up alone. Taehyung's side of the bed was cold and it sent a slight panic to surge through the omega. He shot up out of bed and used the walls as a guide to the pups' room. The door was cracked and let the light from the ghost night light filter into the dark hall of the house. The omega opened the door wider, only to let out a huge sigh of relief at the sight inside.

Taehyung was laying in the comfortable recliner, dead asleep, with all their pups laying on him. Chungho, the little daddy's girl she was, rested on the alpha's chest to hear his heartbeat and feel his steady breathing. Hwayoung rested in the crook of his left arm, her face buried in his side. And little Daejung woke up as soon as Hoseok stepped into the room, letting out a little whine from his spot in the crook of his father's right arm. Hoseok smiled at him fondly and lifted the smallest pup into his arms.

"What's the matter, baby boy? The girls take Daddy from you again?" he pouted and Daejung calmed down the minute he had his face buried in his appa's neck, right near his scent gland. "Appa's got you, baby boy. Daddy can have the girls all he wants, but you're mine." Hoseok held his son with one hand as he ran his free hand through his sleeping mate's bangs, then leaned down to place a kiss on his exposed forehead. "Thanks, Tae. I love you."

Since the pups were born almost four months ago - and Daejung finally able to come home almost two months ago - Taehyung proved himself to be a very odd father. Maybe it was because Taehyung was just a childish alpha, but Hoseok didn't mind. His alpha was the best father he could ever ask for. He proved just as much tonight. The alpha woke up in the middle of the night to tend to the pups just so the omega could sleep a little more. He was so thankful he was mated to an alpha like Taehyung.

Daejung fell asleep with his little fist holding tight to the fabric of his appa's shirt as Hoseok made his way back to his and Taehyung's bedroom. Daejung was a chubby little thing - just like Taehyung was - despite being the tiniest of the three pups. He gained an impressive amount of weight when he came home, so instead of being four pounds, he was almost eight pounds. It was amazing. And he was the perfect mix of both of his parents. Chungho looked more like Hoseok and Hwayoung looked more like Taehyung. Daejung was definitely an appa's boy, while Chungho was a major daddy's girl. Hwayoung was a little bit of both.

"Sleep well, my baby boy," the omega whispered as he settled down on his back, his little baby resting on his chest. He rubbed his back soothingly while he tried to go back to sleep. He kept thinking about his family; how it finally was complete. He had the best mate ever and three beautiful pups. They were already placing bets on what their children would be when it came time for them to present. One thing was certain; Daejung would definitely be an omega.

Hoseok fell asleep to that thought, not waking once when Taehyung brought the girls in so that they could all share a bed as a family for the first time.