Sunshine

"There's nothing we can do for him now."

My heart dropped as I heard those words, but I remained composed; no matter what, I had to play my part as the son of the village's leader perfectly. I held my breath to keep in all the hurt and tears, hands almost hidden in the sleeves of my robes as the doctor bowed to me, my father, and my younger sisters, both of which standing on either side of me. My father bowed as well, keeping a grim smile on his face. "You did all you can, and that is enough for us. His fate is out of our hands now," he replied solemnly. 

No, it's not, I thought, watching as the doctor was led out of our large home. My world was crumbling, but I couldn't show it right then. 

Our father bowed to us, finally dropping his composed façade with a weary sigh. "Children, it's late. Go get ready for bed, okay? Taehyung, you may go see him in an hour." I nodded in understanding and bowed my head respectfully, remaining silent for my voice might betray me. 

A tiny hand reached for my own, and I looked down to see my youngest sister, Sojin, looking up at me with her large doe eyes. "Come on, TaeTae. Let's take a walk before bed," she said quietly, lightly tugging at my light-blue robes.

I allowed her to hold my hand as she led me away from that damned door and out into the grounds, which were now blanketed in snow. She led me though a collection of bushes and out to our old hiding spot, which was now overgrown and dead. 

She stopped and turned to me, her eight-year-old eyes filled with a knowledge that no one our father's age would ever possess. She was wise way beyond her years. "You can be weak here, TaeTae. It's okay to cry," she whispered and hugged me tight. I pressed my hands to her back, holding her closer as I finally unleashed all of the sorrow I felt for my sick lover. 

Jung Hoseok entered our village when he was about twelve. He was brought before the town in a trial, where he was sentenced to execution for running away from his village, even though the village had been destroyed and he had no family to return to. 

I was a naïve eight-year-old, but I didn't want him to die. Out of some sort of miracle, I convinced my father to spare his life. So, he worked as my personal attendant until last year. 

Over the years, I had fallen in love with Hoseok. Homosexuality was illegal, but my father never had an issue with it - if anything, he was the biggest supporter of our relationship among the elder people in our village. 

Now, Hoseok and I have been together for four years. A few months after my twenty-first birthday - we decided on March - Hoseok and I would be getting married. That was how strong our love was. 

But then he became so sick that he couldn't even walk or do anything for himself. My sunshine was dying and all I could do was watch. 

"TaeTae," Sojin finally muttered, patting the small of my back. I wiped my tears and let her go, showing her the best smile I could manage at that moment. "We should get back inside. It's too cold out here." 

I held her little hand and led her back inside, muttering a shaky, "Thank you, little dragon." She smiled at the nickname our grandfather gave her before he passed, squeezing my hand in appreciation. 

-------

After a warm bath, I finally made my way into Hoseok's room, where I usually spent my nights. His body temperature had dropped, so I decided to sleep with him for extra warmth. It worked; he never shivered in my arms. 

Hoseok was laying in his bed, head turning to me as I shut the door behind me. "Hey, baby," I cooed to him, earning a faint smile and hooded eyes. "Baby boy," he croaked, weakly holding a hand out for me as I sat on the edge of his bed, leaning over to place a kiss on his lips. His lips were dry and slightly cold, barely moving along with mine before I moved away. 

A small cry of pain left him as he tried to sit up. I quickly pushed him back down against the pillows. "No, hyung. Don't move," I said quietly. "But I... Please, hold me," Hoseok half-whimpered, half-croaked as his expression contorted into one of pain. 

My heart was breaking, but I did as told, hoisting him into my arms, blanket and all. 

He lifted his weary gaze to mine, his fading fond smile growing steadily more genuine as he weakly pressed his palm to my cheek. I held it there, tears filling my eyes as his cold hand soothed my warm face. 

"Taehyung," he hummed, his thumb lazily stroking my cheekbone. "You are the best thing that ever happened to me." A tear fell down my face as I smiled weakly at him. "You have my everything, Hobi." Hoseok let out a short, faint chuckle as he gripped my robes in his free hand. "And you have mine." 

A cough caused his body to convulse, a thin film of blood coating his blue lips. 

"No, Hoseok, no," I whimpered, but Hoseok only sighed. "It's my time, Tae. I can't go on anymore." I nodded, letting out a shaky breath. 

"If, if it hurts too much... then go. Just know that you made me so happy and warm, and that if I ever marry another, I will never regret you. You will never be forgotten." 

My sunshine hummed as he smiled up at me. "Move on from me, Taehyung. It'll be okay. Know that I never suffered, I was never unhappy, and that I will always watch over you and protect you. I'm sorry for leaving you like this. Please... forgive me," he croaked as I kissed his palm, eyes never leaving his. 

"I do forgive you. Thank you for loving me. I love you so much," I mumbled. He sighed happily, eyes starting to droop. 

"Sing for me, baby boy. So I can be at peace. I love you, Taehyung." 

I nodded, keeping his palm to my cheek by his wrist, fingers feeling his faint pulse. 

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine." Tears were streaming down my face. 

"You make me happy when times are grey." Hoseok's eyes finally fluttered closed, that smile still on his face. 

"You'll never know, dear, how much I love you." 

And then he was limp in my arms, his pulse gone forever. 

I started to sob into his palm, pulling him closer to me. 

"Please don't take my sunshine away."