Fawning Over You

The sound of my boots on gravel disturbed the peaceful silence at my friend Namjoon's house. He had called me over to come collect an injured fawn that his dog found in the woods this morning. I was the first person he called, since I had a habit of collecting wild animals that needed help. Everyone in town thought I was crazy, yet they still called me whenever they found an endangered wild animal.

"Tae, thank god! He's in the bathroom, come in," Namjoon said as I stepped into his small matchbox home. His dog, Rap Mon, barked and ran around me in little circles. She was such a bipolar animal; one moment, she hated Namjoon's guts. The next moment, she was prancing around with her leash in her mouth, begging him for a walk. It confused the both of us.

Namjoon returned with the little fawn wrapped up in an old, frayed towel. He was at least an adolescent; for his spots were faded and his antlers were just starting to come in. There were marks in his left side; he'd been attacked by something. The fawn's light-brown eyes bore into mine, pain and helplessness swimming in the depths of the irises. He was beautiful and I found myself unable to look away.

With extreme care, I gathered him in my arms, cooing at him when he made pained noises. "He responds to Hoseok," Namjoon explained as the little fawn pressed his head against my chest. I smiled down at the precious little thing, making my way back towards the truck. "He seems like a Hoseok."

I packed him safely in the passenger seat, bid Namjoon goodbye as I climbed into my truck, then headed over to my house.

"Let's get you fixed up, huh?" I said as I set Hoseok on the dining room table, which really was more of an examination table at this point. The fawn huffed through his nostrils as he watched me gather all sorts of medical supplies. He also seemed to be on edge due to the sounds emitting from what would be my actual dining room. It was more like the animal room now.

My actual pet, a large Maine Coon named Mino, stalked into the room and jumped up onto the table, sniffing lightly at the new family member. Hoseok started making distressed noises at Mino's actions, staring pleadingly up at me as I approached again. I patted his head soothingly. "Shh, Hobi. It's okay, he's not going to hurt you. Mino's just a big nanny-cat, I promise," I whispered to the distraught fawn, who looked at Mino - who sat next to him and stared - then back to me.

I set to work cleaning his wounds to prevent possible infection, then checked him over like a regular check-up. I had graduated from exotic veterinary school last year and considered this my job. I removed my gloves and ruffled the deer's ears. "All done! You're a healthy boy, Hobi!" I cheered, receiving a nibble on my hand in appreciation.

After I showered him - and took the chance to give myself a shower while I was at it - Hoseok followed me into the kitchen, waiting patiently for me as I stepped into the animal room to gather up the three baby fruit bats - appropriately named the Three Amigos - that were currently in my care. They all clung to my nightshirt as I walked into the kitchen.

"Okay, what fruits do I have for you?" I asked the four baby animals as I looked for some apples, bananas, grapes and blackberries. I knew deer loved grapes and blackberries that grew on the edge of the woods in my backyard, so I washed them and handed some to Hoseok. He ate happily and waited next to me like a puppy as I fed the Three Amigos grape-halves and pieces of bananas.

I ate while the babies ate; I'd give them a piece of fruit, then take a piece for myself. Afterwards, I put the Three Amigos in their cage, then gestured for Hoseok to walked with me to the back bedroom.

Mino was already waiting for us, sitting like a loaf at the end of the bed. I laid down on the right side of the bed, getting comfy on my stomach as Hoseok looked up at me. It was like he was asking for permission. "Come on, cutie," I coaxed and my little fawn took a running start, leaping up into the air and over me, landing gracefully on the left side of the bed.