Running

Ariel's P.O.V
I could hear the footsteps gaining quickly. I was running as fast as I could. My lungs were on fire and each breath I took was more painful than the last. My legs were getting too weak to carry me. The adrenaline that was coursing through my veins had begun to wear out. But my instinct for survival had kicked in. I had to survive. It was the only thing keeping me going. Now, what was I running from? Let's rewind to about six hours earlier.

Six hours earlier
'Ariel! Come on don't be such a bore. You are going to the party and that's final.' My best friend Meghan who was hell-bent on taking me to that party screeched.

'But I don't wanna. It's going to be horrible for sure,' I whined.

'Shut your fudge up and put this on,' she said throwing me a short black lace dress and black heels that were about a foot tall. There was no way I was putting those on.

'Nope. There's no way in hell I'm putting these on,' I said pointing to the shoes.

'Uh... yes you are,' she said in a singsong voice. 'Now shut up and put this on again before I make you.'

'Yes ma!' I chuckled but putting on the clothes while cursing silently. There were moments I hated her and this was one of them.

She did my makeup and pulled my braids up in a bun. I looked at the full-length mirror to check out her work. The gown brought out the curves I hid every day in oversized t-shirts and skinny jeans.

I was lighter skin tone than Meg but we were both Afro-Americans. I had an oval face with full lips which she painted maroon red and a mole under my nose beside my lips which Meg thought was drop-dead gorgeous. My eyes looked darker and bigger with the smoky eyes and eyeliner.

Meg had finished dressing up. She looked gorgeous as always. She left her long black weaves to flow down her back. She had a perfect figure which she clad in a short red gown. Her immaculate makeup and slim face with high cheekbones and long false lashes.

'Wow seems like someone dressed to kill today,' I said wolf-whistling her. She smiled shyly and I laughed at her.

We entered her posh Porchè and she drove us to the party while we exchanged jokes and harmless insults.

Damn! The place was quite huge. The owner of this crib must be goddamn rich. Meg prodded me out of my semi-conscious state.

'Stop drooling and let's move on sister. It's not as if you haven't seen better.' I rolled my eyes at her and she laughed.

Meg's father was from old money so clearly, this was not a new sight for her or me.

We went through the gates and we got our ID's scanned and we entered.

The party was in full swing and it didn't seem to be ending anytime soon. Like every other hormonal party hosted by college students,

'Can I get a hell yeah!' Someone shouted and everyone screamed. The music blared from loudspeakers almost making me deaf in the process.

Everywhere reeked of sweat booze and smoke. I felt my stomach coil in disgust almost immediately. I almost stumbled across a couple making out.

'Eww,' I said wrinkling my nose in disgust and the guy glared at me and I hurriedly left him.

'Meg, I'm not sure this was a good idea.' I turned to see that I was speaking to the empty space.  She had left me here alone. She so shouldn't get drunk because I wasn't going to drag her easily. I'd make sure her clothes get ruined and she gets a few bruises while dragging her to the car. I only hope I'd be able to find her before...