Slum

I scrambled up to my feet quickly with the gun still in my hand. I ran turning to glance at the trio on the ground. I shouldn't have done that for the look I saw on their faces would haunt me forever.

'I killed a man! I killed a man!' I muttered to myself as I ran.

Now's not the time for that. You can give Seth's his chance later to plague you with grief but now you have to escape

His voice sounding frantic as I wiped furiously at my tears and tried to put my act together.

I ran on not knowing where I was or where I was heading. The worst thing on earth was running without direction but right now the worst thing was running away without direction after killing a psychopath with psychopathic friends who would kill you if they found you. Not to mention that I was barely just a few hundred kilometers away from them and they had a car.

I was on a lonely road with nothing else but wilderness at the side of the road. My heart thudded noisily against my chest. I drew in ragged breaths as my feet flew metaphorically against the tarred road.

After an hour or two, adrenaline began to wear out. I dragged my  feet wearily and finally slumped on the ground wondering why I hadn't seen any of them yet.

The sun rays burned up the earth and its inhabitants mercilessly by the way the inhabitants were mostly I and the deserted road.

And did I mention that I was barefooted? They burned from the scorching ground which had been heated up by the angry sun.

'Shade!' I breathed as I spotted a tree about a hundred kilometers away. I pushed myself tiredly till I got there away from the scorching sun.

I slumped under the tree gasping for breath. I examined my feet and they were sore and not ready for movement anytime soon and I groaned.

I closed my eyes in an attempt to catch some sleep before I would move on again.

'Zurvie?' I whispered with my eyes still shut as I fiddled with my fingers.

Hmm

'I'm scared,' I said quietly.

Then climb the stupid tree

My jaw hung open in humiliation. What was I even thinking. I was asking a stupid voice in my head for comfort.

'You just ruined the moment,' I said sassily as I stuck out my tongue.

That is officially the most stupid thing yet ever

I laughed agreeing with him. If someone happened to pass by, he would have thought I was mad.

Speaking of spotting me, I eyed the tree again. 'I think I should climb the tree to avoid being spotted by anyone,' I said wondering how I was even going to climb the tree with my blistering feet.

Ariel

'Yeah,' I answered hoping he would so not bring up the topic again. I already felt embarrassed by the thought already.

Never tell me that crap about being scared again. Im not your boyfriend

I cringed internally as he spoke. 'Noted,' I said.

I mean like that was so corny and stupid

He laughed hard at me and my face burned in embarrasment.

'Shut it Zurvie, I am going to catch some sleep,'  I said putting on a frown. I eyed the tree again with my arms akimbo and decided that there was no way in hell, I was going to climb that.