Guilt

The streets fell into silence as darkness enveloped the earth. The red moon shone brightly with a red glare and the stars as red as blood.

Out of the silence came the ringing of a bell, softly but clear. It tolled faintly till it became loud and then it grew louder, louder and louder until it seemed to be directly over my head.

I looked above me but saw nothing but it went on ringing and tolling as I could no longer hear my thoughts.

I felt the pressing need to run with each passing moment. I tried to move my feet but they seemed as of they had been put in concrete. They were immovable.

I stood with a sense of dread holding a package in my hands as the tolling of the bell above my head seemed to tell me to hide, warning me each passing moment.

My hands were slippery and heavy. They were wet with sweat as I ached to know what was in the box. I stood near an alley corner and unwrapped it with shaky hands.

The paper fell away and then I saw it. It was my own head. Lying with bloodshot eyes, my lips parted with my teeth showing and my braids wet with blood. I ran with my bloody head in my arms.

The light grew brighter and brighter and I was sweating and panting from running and the bell rung so loudly that I could hear the Iron clanging against the metal sides evry time it swung.

I was running over a street paved with gravel and my feet kicked at the little stones quite painfully. I knew very soon I was going to need a place to hide.

Before me, I saw my former assailants. Their eyes as red as the moon with deadly snarls. Their teeth sharp as though they were fangs. They came before me menacingly with as an evil grin graced their faces, terrifying me to my bone marrow.

I looked at the head which was now slippery with blood in my hands and I knew they had come for it and I cursed the clanging bell.

That moment, I didn't give a damn about what happened to me and I stopped running. But still, they came closer and I hurled the bloody head in their faces honkhonkhonk

I opened my eyes and a car was horning at me with a very angry driver, his face as red as a tomato. I could have sworn, I smoke leave his ears.

I scrambled up quickly and left the road. How did I even fall asleep in the middle of the street. I yawned as the angry driver sped off, smiling at him and waving.

I rubbed my tommy as it growled. I need food like ASAP. So I did what I had never done in my life.

I stole.

Real smooth A. Who knew that you were such a smooth thief

Zurvan teased me and I shot him a glare. While not technically because he was inside my head but nevertheless, I still did.

I had just stolen a loaf of bread from a bread seller or whatever it is they call them. The poor man didn't even notice that it was gone and I sighed.

Hey no one ever said life in the streets was easy.  You have been living a spoilt life all this while

I wanted to be angry but the stupid voice in my head was always right.

Hey I am not stupid

I rolled my eyes and continued in my thoughts. My parents gave me everything I ever wanted. All my life I had lived like a princess, I had never gone hungry for one day, never broken a law and sure as hell, I had never once stolen in my life save from my father but technically speaking it was the money reserved for my college I took when I ran away from home.