Three - "Why don't you kiss me?"

"Lyds!"

Lydia had only been home for a half hour when she heard her aunt yelling her name. All the poor girl wanted to do was stay in her bed and wallow in her own grief, the grief she held for herself, the grief she held for hiding things from Eddie, and the grief she held for little Georgie.

But no, her Aunt Kim couldn't even let her have that. Instead she called out to her, and Lydia knew that could only mean one of two things.

1) She'd done something wrong and her aunt wanted to beat her for it.

2) She wanted her to go get her more cigarettes, that she would later most likely burn her with.

"Lydia get the fuck in here!"

With a sigh, the Greystone girl trudged down the stairs and into the living room. The scene in front of Lyds wasn't one that was unfamiliar. As she usually did, her aunt lay drunkenly in the armchair with a cigarette burning in between her fingers. The curtains were drawn shut, and the TV was off, leaving her sorry excuse of a relative lay in complete darkness.

"What do you want?"

"Are you gonna quit with the attitude?"Her aunt quickly snapped

"Yes, Aunt Kim?" Lyds rephrased her sentence

"Good. I need you to go down to Mr Keene's pharmacy and grab me some more cigarettes."

"You mean steal you some more cigarettes."

"Do that thing you always do, batter your eyelashes and flirt with Keene." The older woman shrugged

"Doesn't it make you feel uncomfortable that you're making your own niece objectify herself to old men?"

"Are you judging my parenting skills?" She glared

"You do realise you're not my parent right?"

"Thank god, if I'd have birthed you, I would've drowned you the second I laid eyes on you."

"Well it's good to know that someone cares about me."

"Quit with the sarcastic tone!" Kim suddenly rose to her feet and in her drunken stupor she stumbled her way over to her niece.

"Dad wouldn't treat me like this."

Before she even realised it, Kim and punched her across the cheek. Immediately, the young girl's face began to throb with pain.

"Don't you talk about him." She shook her head, "Now go get me my cigarettes."

*

*

*

*

*

*

As the Greystone girl entered Keene's pharmacy her grey eyes immediately fell on an all too familiar face, a face that had brown curly hair and the kindest smile she had ever seen.