Eight - "We can't tell anyone."

It was 10pm when there was a knock at Eddie Kaspbrak's window. With tired eyes he rolled over in his bed and stared at it, not knowing quite whether he'd heard it or not, but then the noise sounded again.

Back in autumn, when there had been no curfew, and there had been nothing to worry about, a knock at his window was something Eddie would've been used to, it would've been one of his friends messing around, but since the curfew was issued the sound had grown unfamiliar to him.

The short boy climbed out of bed and made his way towards the window, cautiously he pulled back the curtains only to be met with astonishing blue eyes on the other side of the glass.

"Lyds?" He pushes it open, "What are you doing here? There's a curfew!"

"I had to see you."

"W-What? How did you avoid the patrol cars?"

"You live two streets over Eddie. It wasn't difficult." She shrugged

"What are you even doing here?"

"I couldn't sleep Eds." The brunette spoke with a sigh, before she lay herself down at the end of Eddie's bed, "I couldn't get that fucking clown's face out of my head!"

"Me neither, my Mom sent me to bed early and it's all I've been able to think about."

"I had to come here E." She mumbled, "I just knew that if I came here and I saw you that I'd feel safe again..."

"Really?"

"Really. You're the only one I trust right now."

Slowly, the brunette boy lay down beside his friend, they were barely touching but he could both feel the warmth radiating from her pale skin.

"We can't tell anyone Eddie."

"I know. Everyone's going to think that we're making it up."

With tears in her eyes and a pleading look on her face, Lyds rolled onto her front and grabbed Eddie's hand. She began to softly trace patterns into his palm, and the younger boy immediately leaned up on his elbows and watched her with wonder in his eyes.

"What are you doing?" He spoke barely above a whisper

"Nothing."

He took a breath, "Are you scared?"

"Terrified."

"Of the clown?"

It was in that moment that Lyds found herself questioning what she was really scared of, was it the clown? Or was it how close her and Eddie were in those fleeting moments?

"Yeah... the clown."

After that the two friends lay together in complete silence and soon enough, they fell asleep side by side.

*

*

*

*

*

*

"Shit, Lyds! You gotta get up! We fell asleep!"

"What?"

"It's 9am, your Aunt's gonna be worried sick!"

And even in her groggy and tired stupor, Lyds immediately froze where she lay. Her Aunt. If she wasn't there when the older woman woke up then she was dead, quite literally. She'd end up receiving he beating of her life.

"Eddie, you don't understand, I need to get home right now! You gotta give me a ride on your bike-"

"I left it at Ben's!"