Chapter 14

I ran towards the car as fast as I could. The only thing I was certain that would calm me, was music. I needed my phone and headphones badly. I knew that they were doing it just to get my attention, but none of the guys they brought home were Nicky. I remembered all of their names. No one's name was Nicky, Nathaniel, Nate, Nicholas or anything similar. Would that mean that he was someone important? Someone they didn't want me to see? It hurt.

As soon as I reached the car, I grabbed my phone and ran off towards the woods in case someone decided to stop by to load their luggage in the trunk. I entered far enough into the forest so that I wouldn't be able to get lost and no one would see me. I sat on the grass in front of a tree before scrolling through iTunes and Spotify. My usual go-to band in these situations is Three Days Grace. This time I chose On my own. I usually listen to Bully or Chalk Outline, but I wasn't in the mood for them.

The time was 12:31 by the time I checked. I had precisely 19 minutes to get back to the car, which was perfect. I had several messages from Mika and Damon wondering if I wanted to play cards with them, I just sent a simple message declining their offer and stating that I wanted to take a look around the woods one last time before leaving.

According to Mika, Rick knew of my scars and aqua-phobia, but he still tried to throw me out into the sea. Chase still has no idea of my secret and Nicky... It's possible that Mika was wrong or that their feelings had changed. I didn't know. The quilt from being so egoistical and the pain and envy were crushing me. My heart felt so heavy, my breathing was laboured, it felt like I had hands wrapping around my throat and choking me. It's a feeling I was well accustomed to. The second time I checked the clock, it was 12:43. Time to head back. I tapped my pocket to make sure the power bank and charger were still there.

By the time I got back, everyone were already in the cars. The twins were sitting in mom's. I tried not to pay all that much attention to it and crawled into the back of Mika's car. Mika and Damon were double-checking the trunk to make sure we haven't forgotten any bags or something. On the way home, everyone was silent. I was listening to music as per usual and my step-brothers weren't talking to each other. They weren't even listening to the radio. The atmosphere wasn't awkward nor uncomfortable. But it wasn't comfortable and light either. At least not to me.

I usually get sleepy during long rides so that's what I did. I fixed my seatbelt so that I only had the part that went around my waist on and laid across the back seat.

When we got home, I grabbed my bags and headed directly to my room. I spent the rest of the day watching You've been t@gged and Scream. My two favorite tv series. It was around 23:00 that I heard arguing right in front of Chase's room. I think. It was hard to tell where exactly it came from, but it was definitely from somewhere around the twins' rooms. Like the curious little shit I am, I carefully opened my door a bit. On the other side stood the twins, Mika and Damon.

"Where the hell are you going at this hour?" Asked the eldest brother.

"To a friend's. He needs help with his car." Answered Rick, the second best liar in the house.

"And he wants you to go and help him in the middle of the night?" Said Damon.

From where I stood, I could see Chase clearly. He seemed eager to get out of here. Out of this house. I opened the door and exited the room. They looked surprised to see me. Especially the twins.

"Mikey, let them go. They're old enough to take responsibility for their actions. Chase, don't forget to use a condom." And with that, I went to the cinema room to continue my Netflix and Viaplay marathon.