Chapter 18

3rd point of view

The brothers were sitting around the dinner table. The one who had been away for a week, rushed home as fast as he could as soon as he heard about the youngest. The 2nd eldest held his head in his hands. He hadn't moved from that position ever since the meeting had started. He blamed himself. It had been hours since their adorable, baby brother had left the house and they had no idea where he was or when he was coming back. They had considered going after him, but Michael had insisted on staying behind and await for his return. Stating that he needed time. They agreed on waiting until dusk, but once it was dark outside they were all going after him. 

"For how long have you known that he wasn't eating?" Asked Damon. He was leaning back on the chair. Right leg laying atop the other and a bag of frozen peas laying on his bruised knuckles. The youngest's words were on a constant loop inside his head. 'I won't be a bigger burden than I already am'. He had heard. He had heard Damon's conversation with Michael that night. He hadn't told his older brothers yet, but he knew he had to. 

"I saw him sneaking around with a bag full of food one day before he left for school. At first I thought he was just hungry and needed bigger portions, but then I saw that nothing was missing from the fridge. Except for his lunch and dinner that is." Rick looked at his twin. Chase was starring at the wall with a blank face. There was no telling what was going through his mind. He was the only one who hadn't said a word since the whole thing happened. 

Damon placed the not-so-frozen-anymore bag of peas on the dinning table and sat properly. "He heard everything" He said as he looked directly into Michael's eyes. "That night at the cinema, he heard us when we called him a burden." Michael let out a frustrated fuck. They were obviously blaming themselves. Rick gave one last glance at his twin and aimed his gaze at the other two. 

"When he came to check on Chase that night, I practically told him to fuck off and that it was all his fault." Chase finally glanced back at his older twin. His face was no longer blank, but apologetic. It was obvious that they were at fault for the youngest's breakdown. It pained them. 

"Screw waiting. I'm going after him." Said Damon as he pushed his chair away from the table and stood up. He looked expectantly at the eldest, waiting to be told off or forced to sit down. Michael only nodded and stood up as well. The twins took that as their cue and the four left the house. 

Tommy's POV

I had no idea what time it was. My phone was abandoned in my room along with my books. I didn't have a watch so that was helpless as well. I was sitting on a stone next to a pond. I had no idea how far I had entered, nor the path I had taken. The sun was setting soon, which probably meant that I had to leave soon, but I just couldn't bring myself to move. I used the time to think back on my life. I had absolutely no memories of my real family. No one knew who they were, or if they were still alive. No one knew if I had siblings or relatives. I didn't even know if Thomas was the name they had given me or the orphanage. Guess it makes sense that I don't miss them. 

The pond was filled with crystal clear water, the different colours of the sunset were reflected on the glass like surface. There was no wind. The only sound was the occasional rustle of leaves caused by small animals, birds or insects. Though I had yet to see either of them. I had a distinct feeling that I was the only one in the forest. I had no idea why mom and dad had forbidden me from entering. Probably because they knew I would get lost. 

The air was crispy cold. It was one of the colder days today. I pulled my knees up and covered them with Chase's shirt. I was cold and weak. I doubted that even if I did know the way home, I would make it there. I looked carefully around, in search of a hole in a tree or anything which could provide some warmth. There was nothing. I stood up from the stone and walked towards the grass to the side which had just been basked in the sun. I checked if it was wet just in case, the dark green grass was much warmer than my hand. I laid down and closed my eyes.