♱Chapter 39♱

Alec's P•O•V

A cold, rough surface met my back. It chilled my spine through the thin fabric of my button up. I furrowed my brow and opened my eyes, only to be faced with the grey sky above.

I stared up in confusion, watching the clouds swirl gently.

Sitting up, I realized I was in the clearing. I sighed of relief, but only for a second did my worry surpass me. I looked to my side and didn't see Raven there like she normally was.

I stood quickly, feeling an exaggerated fear engulf me as it struck me that she was missing. It all seemed to overwhelm me more than it would normally. Concern consumed me as I spun around, looking in all directions to see if I could find her coffee brown hair in the sea of surrounding trees. But she was no where to be found.

"Raven?" I hollered, my voice rough as her name barely pushed through my lips.

"Right here." I heard her soft voice from behind me, causing me to turn around instantly.

Standing before me was Raven, her hair silken, running off her shoulders in soft curls, and her body clothed in a flowing white dress, one fit for an Angel.

For all I knew, she was an Angel.

As she stood a mere ten feet from me, I felt my dull, vampire heart drop to my stomach, knowing that she was safe and she was here. I smiled at her.

"I thought I lost you-" I said breathily as I walked towards her, but felt a deep pain hit my chest. I gasped in shock, and felt my legs weaken. I stumbled forward. Raven caught me and held me close, keeping me on my feet.

"Everything is going to be alright. It'll all be over soon." She whispered in my ear soothingly. For a moment I looked past the pain and admired her. She resembled an Angel. So beautiful and pure of heart. In my eyes, she was my perfect angel.

Is this what everyone sees when they're close to death?

I felt another tug at my chest and grumbled in pain. Raven looked down and caused me to follow suit. She looked so calm as black blood soaked through my white shirt, trickling through the fabric and spreading.

I groaned and looked up to her.

"What's happening to me?" I gargled out of my mouth as the taste of my own thick, bitter blood arose in my throat.

Raven blurred in and out as I waited for an answer. Her hand caressed my cheek before she faded out one last time and I heard her gentle voice fill my ears,

"I love you, Alec."

And everything faded away until the darkness engulfed me.

Piper's P•O•V

The guards opened the doors for us and we were faced with the same sight as before. Alec was on the bed, so still and lifeless.

Nicolae, whom we had just informed that we had a cure, walked over and examined Alec for a brief moment before he turned to us.

"I'm going to need a knife." Nicolae tells us and Father gestures for one of the guards to give their knife. Father nods to the red haired guard and hands it to Nicolae.

"What are you going to do to him?" I ask, still unsure of Nicolae's plan. I step up so I'm beside Nicolae and look at my brother's blackened chest that just seemed to keep spreading every time I looked at it.

"The source of the black magic is in his veins, spreading from the previous wound. If the magic is dwelling there, then the cure must be placed in the center of it." Nicolae informs me. I look at him confusedly.