♱Chapter 40♱

Guys we made it to 40 chapters!! Thank you all for your love and support! You guys are the ones who got this book to HALF A MILLION READS!!!

GOOD NEWS!! I got a notification from Wattpad letting me know that HMB is now a featured story!!

Love you all,
Maddie

Piper's P•O•V

Watching as Alec tore up his room was almost as painful as watching him die. His rage towards DeMalo and the pain of losing of his soulmate (once again) was something he understandably didn't have control over. My heart broke when Alec suddenly stopped and picked up a piece of clothing off of his wardrobe. I instantly recognized it as Raven's silk robe.

I pitied his pain as he stared at the robe with such raw emotion. When he turned his head, his facial expression was quite different as opposed to the one he had originally expressed. He looked flat out cold, like all the worry and pain had shifted into a bitter wrath.

"You just left my Soulmate to be taken?" Alec asked in a low tone, as he stared at our Father in disbelief.

"I wasn't about to let you die when we had the cure in our hands and Raven had clearly asked us not to look for her-" Father tried to explain himself, but of course, Alec wasn't having it.

"Bull-shit! She just believed whatever DeMalo had foolishly threatened. You had no right to think of her life as collateral damage! You could've done something; you should've done something!" Alec snapped and sent the whole room into silence. His eyes flared bright red with rage. I nearly smirked, glad that Alec had the courage to test our father's authority, while I on the other hand did not have such courage.

"You're my only son, my heir to the throne! My responsibility is to prepare you to take over in my place. I can't do that if you're dead!" Father snapped back at him. Mother opened her mouth and in a moment, closed it again as she gave a second thought to what she was going to say.

"I'd rather be dead than to be your perfect heir. And without Raven, I wish you had let me die." Alec seethed and sent the room into a shocked silence, only until Mother's sobs broke the silence.

Raven's P•O•V

Last time I had been in New York, I had chosen to come back. And that day, I came to terms with living in a kingdom full of Vampires who may or may not kill me at any moment when their hunger overpowers them.

Why?

Truth is, coming home was my closure. I had wanted to go back to find opening arms and a family who had then experienced some sort of epiphany and came to realize I was actually important. I had actually hoped that they were torn apart by my disappearance. I wanted to find my brother, a detective with the NYPD, searching every nook and cranny of this immense city in order to find me.

But I came home and found them all sitting around a table, looking happy as could be, almost as if I was a ghost the whole time and I never truly existed.

At that moment, I never wanted to come back again. I never wanted to walk the streets of the city that I had grown up in. To be honest, I feared the slightest chance of ever seeing my family again. Not after I realized that I was nothing but a nuisance to them.