Chapter Forty-Six

Butterflies were running through my stomach, making me feel like I needed to vomit. I stared out of the passenger window before closing my eyes. I felt a hand touch my shoulder and give it a soothing rub. "It's going to be fun, baby girl," Mia told me comfortably.

We were on our way to my family's BBQ. For the first time, I was going to face my biological mother and father. It made me anxious. What if they were uptight or super weird? My father had his own small gang, what if he was an asshole? What if he was a cold bastard? I literally knew nothing about them except for the little bit of information that Camilo had given me about them. What if he was only telling me the good stuff and hiding all the bad? F-ck, we needed to turn around. I couldn't do this. I thought I was ready but I wasn't.

"This was a horrible idea," I told Mia as I turned towards her.

Her eyes were on the road but she had a comforting smile on her face. "Girl, we're basically already here. Somebody's blasting Chantaje. That's your people, girl!" I snickered as my butterflies slowly went away. There was a reason why I decided to ask Mia to come along to my family's BBQ. She was like my family so it was only right that met my biological family with me. "Girl, if you have a cousin that looks like Maluma I'm going to marry into the family. Your brother actually looks just like him."

"Ugh, don't ruin Maluma for me. My man doesn't look like my brother. Plus, my brother also has a wife so let's not stir up any drama, b-tch," I told her with a laugh.

"Well, the point is, your brother's fine. You're fine. I'm sure you have plenty of fine cousins to choose from."

Once we got in the neighborhood, all we had to do was follow Maluma's voice which was a very good f-cking sign. After Drake, Maluma was my second celebrity crush. Mia and I sang along to the songs until we finally pulled up in front of a house. People were filled all through the house, the front yard and back yard. It looked like a f-cking block party.

When we stepped onto the yard, it wasn't anything unfamiliar for me. It was just like the parties that Mia and her family threw. The older men were starting at us as if we were a full course meal and as if we would actually be interested in them. Kids were running around us, pushing past between apologies and giggles. Nearly every adult had some kind of alcoholic beverage in their hands. We hadn't even been there for a full minute and Mia had found a cooler and grabbed herself a Corona. There was nothing but laughing, dancing, drinking and a lot petty yet harmless arguments.

I spotted my brother and his wife surrounding the DJ. When I approached them, I listened to them make music requests. "That's enough Maluma! We've played five songs by him in a row," Gabriela told the DJ.

"No, man. Play some more Maluma tracks or switch it up with some J Balvin," Camilo urged the DJ.

"Why are you so obsessed with Colombian bad boys? You know Colombians aren't the only ones that make Latin music, right?"

"I know that, but we do it the best."

Gabriela scoffed at her husband with disgust. "First, how are you going to be so disrespectful? Have you ever heard of f-cking Selena?"

Camilo rolled his eyes, ignored his wife and turned to the DJ. "Just play some J Balvin, man."

Gabriela was about to argue some more but then Mia and I caught her attention. Camilo found us watching and laughing at their conversation as well. "You made it," Gabriela said as she pulled me into a warm hug. She held me as if she knew me for most of her life but we had never seen each other face to face in our life. I laughed and hugged her back. "You're so gorgeous. How are you this ugly one's sister?"