Chapter 30

Darkness

Something many young children are scared of. Afraid of the monsters that hide in the thick color. Striking the fear of death into their fragile hearts.

But I'm different.

I'm not afraid of the dark; I embrace it. I shield myself from others. I breathe steady when I'm unable to see the monsters. But this time. I was scared.

I found myself pressed in what felt like a dark liquid that I was floating in. Lost. Unable to see my own body or what was past this darkness. I simply had to lay calmly. Breathing heavily. Hoping I would be saved from the pain that I so clearly felt. There was no light. And frankly I could barely move. Yet I could feel my body floating in the dark abyss. I remembered very little, but the one thing that kept replaying in my mind was the pain. The pain in my wrists. My eyes. I couldn't feel it, but it was there. In my head. It felt like years. Years of nothingness.

Until a beam of light cracked through the darkness. With that light came relief. Breath back into my empty lungs. Blood back into my cold hands. And best of all. The thoughts back into my head. The light continued to break and crumple the darkness until all I saw was light. A bright light.

Back into consciousness, I quickly shut my eyes not wanting the bright light to burn my retinas. I attempted again. To open my eyes. The bright light lessened and I saw a ceiling. Made of sand and cement. Unable to put two and two together I continued to look around, trying to gather the information needed about this place. I saw the dark wood desk. The red carpet on the ground. The soft silk sheets of the bed I was rested on. And the bloodied knife on the end table. Wait. Knife? What? My eyes frantically searched the room. Until it hit me.

My memories. The pain.

No. Dammit. The pulsing and aching pain in my arms and eyes have gone, but they were replaced with sharp pain in my stomach. No. I lifted up my shirt seeing a bloodied message carved into my own flesh. "You can't run" but one more word was carved deeper. Those words were lightly pressed. The deep word was forever the only word that was actually causing me pain at that moment. I softly closed my eyes. Dropping my shirt. How could I let her do this to me? Again. I had so many scars. Why did this one have to be added to the collection. I knew that she'd do it. Yet for some reason I still felt shocked. Also angered. I allowed myself to become vulnerable. How the hell did I do that?

To break me from my thoughts I noticed swift and light foot steps. Stepping towards the dark wood door to my right. I could hear the soft finger tips of Gaara pressing against the door knob. Trying not to make much noise. Of course I enhanced my hearing. I dont want to be so vulnderbale again. I dont want her to hurt me again.

The door cracked open and Gaara stepped in with a glass of water and whatever food he could scavenge from the kitchen. He looked shocked that I was awake, and I just gave him a look sitting up and pressing my back to the wall (No headboard)

"Are you feeling better?" Gaara asked, his voice rough. "I'm a wreck. How long was I out?" "34 hours and 22 minutes. That's of course when I found you awake." I groaned and chuckled, "You're obsessive." He handed me the glass of water in his hand laughing lightly, "I try," I took a long sip of water and immediately grabbed the toast out of his hand, assuming it was for me. He chuckled once again. "So. I'm assuming she paid you a visit while I was out. I would know if you woke up and stabbed someone with a knife." He stated venom Dripping from his words. Thankfully not directed at me. "I wish I could say I did stab someone; that would be much more enjoyable." "Can I see the wound?" I lifted my shirt up to reveal my stomach.

"Dammit. I should have stayed. I didn't need the scrolls I went to buy that much." "Don't give yourself that much credit. You wouldn't hear her. And if you did. She'd kill you in a second." He groaned, "I know, but still. I had a chance to prevent this." Gaara said, reaching into the side table, grabbing the med kit that he always kept there.

After an hour of covering my abdomen in bandages Gaara finally allowed me to walk. I hadn't put my weights back. Just because I didn't need to put that pressure on my body like that. I could. But I didn't need too.

It was silent for atleast 6 minutes.  Gaara was out getting food, and I was cleaning the knife. Staring into it, and twirling it in my hands. Watching my reflection. Until I heard a firm knock on the door. Foot steps are heavy, not very cautious, deep breathing, around jounin level chakra. Oh. Kakashi. Seconds after I realized the door opened softly. Which was a suprise. I expected him to slam open the door. "Hello Brother." I laughed appearing infront of the door. "How were your travels?" He glared, "Show me. I felt it. I needed to learn where you were from the Hokage first. Or I would have arrived sooner sorry." He said, quite rushed.

"It's fine. And I can't show you. I'm bandaged like a fucking mummy." Kakashi groaned. "Message or slashes." "'You can't run forever'. She even did the flying macaroni thing. What's it called." "An apostrophe?" I snapped in realization. "Yeah that thing!"

"How do you not know what that is?" He asked, glaring with his one eye. "I don't have room in my brain for such useless information. You know that." My brother groaned at me. And dropped onto Gaara's couch. As he hit the cushion the door opened.

"Go ahead, make yourself at home Kakashi." Gaara stated rolling his eyes as he walked into the room with bags of food. He set the bags onto the table and started unloading them. "Thanks for your generosity Kazekage." Kakashi laughed. "Ew don't call him that. It makes him seem Important." I said. Gaara sighed and sat next to my bitch of a brother after emptying the groceries. Opening a book that was on his coffee table. I sighed also and sat on the other side of Kakashi. Contemplating what has happened in the last day or two. Attempting to find a different meaning to the note left, imprinted in my body. Even though I knew exactly what it ment. I just wanted to know.

Why