Anything's Possible

As I was phoning the doctor I paced to the other side of the bed and Laney's eye's followed me along with her head turning slowly. It dawned on me that she was probably confused, scared, or worse case senirio, didn't recall a thing.

Making the call short as possible, I put my phone aside and leaned over to her. "Good morning babydoll".

Her only response was closing her eye's then slowly opening them. I understood that the tubes was prohibiting her speech but I had to know if she was in there. "The doctor is on the way". I comforted as I took her frail hand in mine. Giving a gentle tug I whispered in a horse voice. "I've missed you so".

And there it was, the faintest squeeze from her hand. It was as soft as a feather but it was there. Not wanting to upset her in this state, I bit back my tears. With my free hand I stroked her forehead and fought the urge to pull her tightly against me. From here on out she would be treated as a delicate flower. No more business for her. I won't even allow anyone to discuss such matters in front of her. She would be shielded from this life no matter what precautions I had to take. I should've never allowed her to get involved as much as she did.

The doctor made his entrance and smiled down at us. "Good morning Mrs. Harper. I'm thrilled to see that your awake. Now please deal with me while I check you over".

I could see the discomfort on Laney's face and tried to soothe her with encouraging word's. The doctor explained. "I know this may be painful but understand that you've been asleep almost three months. Your body is weak and sore".

At the mention of three month's Laney's eye's grew wide. It was clear she was unaware of time. The doctor leaned into me and whispered. "I wouldn't tell her just now the events that's happened. A huge shock could set her back. I'd also keep visiting at a minimum and instruct them not to bring her "accident" up".

Nodding my head I looked back at Laney who was glaring at us for whispering. Laney always detested when I whispered to other's, she had to know it all. Laughing, I bent down and kissed her cheek. "Don't worry babydoll, we wasn't discussing you".

Eventually the doctor wrapped up his evaluation and said he wanted to wait a few more hours to remove the tubes. Just to ensure she was doing okay. Once he left I sent a text to the kids letting them know. I explained to them about short visiting hours, try to be cheery as not to upset her and definitely don't bring up what occurred at the moment.

In no time they busted in pushing each other as to see who could get to her first. Giving them a stern glare, they slowed their roll and walked in every so softly. Miri approached her first. "Mom". She spoke softly bending to kiss her cheek and take her hand. Demarco stood back trying to control his emotions but failed. Suddenly rushing to her, he almost launched himself on her and laid his head upon her shoulder. "Mommy". He sobbed.

Miri and I shared a whatever look and left the two alone. There had always been a special bond between those two. After ten minutes I peeked in on them and Dem was fast asleep lying beside her, his head still glued to her shoulder. I watched in amazement as Laney lifted her hand to stroke his sleeping head. I knew Dem hadn't been sleeping well, hell none of us have and I just realized how tired we all must be. Miri joined Laney again on the other side and slid in. I was worried they may hurt her but I could see a difference in Laney's glow at having them by her side.

The evening came along with the doctor. He explained the removal of the tube may be painful  and we may want to wait outside. "I'll stay". Demarco chimed in.

The doctor looked at him. "Hand over your guns to your Pape. As I said this may be painful and I'm not about to be shot for doing my job".

Grumpy, Demarco handed over his weapons. It was clear everyone knew how my impulsive son could be.

Ten minutes later we were called back in and were thrilled. Laney was in a sitting position and all the tubes were gone. Demarco stood by her side like a watch dog and it was obvious that he had cursed the doctor. Laney met my eye's and gave a faint smile that melted my heart all over again. "She will have trouble talking for a day or so due to the tube. It leaves you with a severe sore throat. " the doctor explained.

I watched as Demarco held a cup with a straw up to her lips. "She can have water and soft foods such as broth, jello, yogurt etc. Nothing solid yet. She can also walk but with assistance. Her muscles are weak from all the bed rest."

Nodding my understanding he took his leave. Demarco hovered over her like a cloud and I just wished he leave. I wanted time with my wife. I waited another twenty minutes and spoke. "Okay everybody out. She needs her rest now".

Miri said her goodbyes but Demarco stayed rooted. "Demarco?"

"I'm good Pape".

"No, it's time to go. We all need rest".

Laney grinned at Demarco and patted his hand. Sighing, he kissed her cheek and left grudgingly. Laney looked at me and patted the bed. In no time I was curled beside her and eventually we both drifted off.

The next morning I woke and found the bed empty. Fear seized my heart as I jumped up. I spotted Laney in the living room using furniture as walking tools. Rushing over, I gripped her to my side. "What are you doing?"

"Bathroom". She whispered.

"You should have woke me, not went by yourself".

With her voice stronger she said. "You needed your rest".

"And you need to be careful".

Suddenly she spun toward me and wrapped me in her arm's. Never had anything felt so good, so right and that's when I lost it. Sobbing like a baby, I released all my fears and worry. "Don't you ever scare me like that again. I thought I'd lost you and I didn't know what to do".

We stood there like that for several minutes and I could tell her legs was getting tired. I scooped her up bridal style and carried her to the bathroom. Placing her atop a stool, I ran a bubble bath for her. Once I settled her in, I got on my knees beside the tub and bathed her as she giggled. I even washed her hair. Afterwards I wrapped her in her robe and helped her to the kitchen where I placed her on top of the counter. I started preparing her omelette since the doctor said solid food was okay now. "London" she said in her normal voice.

"Yes babydoll?"

"I heard everything. I heard you talking to me, reading to me. I heard it all".

Stopping what I was doing I looked at her smiling face. Clasping her face between my hands I devoured her mouth. It was like sharing our first kiss all over again. This kiss wasn't about lust, no it was pure love.

The kiss came to an end and I resumed my dicing. "London?"

"Yes".

"Are they alive?"

Stopping I hesitated not sure if I should tell her. Deciding to be honest I mumbled. "Yes, they are in the pit".

A smirk crossed her face. "Good".

Shaking my head I spoke. "You are to fully recover first. Then I promise I'll have them waiting tied in a pretty bow and all".

Smiling up at me, I knew my babydoll was back.