Without A Trace

It took almost a week for me to heal from that pummeling that crazy bastard gave me. After he knocked me unconscious, I didn't know what may have occurred. Did Sam run off scared, did he take her or did he do worse.

I called her only to find her number changed. Even using my detective skills was of no use. I checked at her school, job, but nothing. Demarco Harper definitely didn't won't her found, definitely by me. It was obvious he was taking all precautions to keep me away.

I was worried about Sam. Was she safe, being held against her will or worse. Her mother was no longer staying in her new apartment. It stood empty with no clues.

It's going on three months now and I find it odd that my blackmailer hasn't contacted me. I almost shit myself when Laney Harper reveled herself to me in my apartment. Man, she was absolutely stunning and so tiny to be so tough and brave. Definitely not one to tangle with. Besides all of that, I wanted my sister back and was ready to pull this shit off. I was sick of being in the dark about this raid, my sister and Sam that I decided to make a bold move. I was going to walk right into the Lion's Den.

Walking right into this exquisite apartment building that was over ran by mobsters, I was instantly greeted by three burly looking men who had enough guns to impress the army. "Your business here pig?"

One sneered my way. Obviously they knew who I was. Not backing down or showing fear I spoke. "I need to see Laney Harper".

All three men looked at each other and burst into laughter. "You want to see Mrs. Harper ah?"

"Where would you like to be shot by Mr. Harper first?"

"You've more of a chance catching the moon than even breathing the same air Mrs. Harper breaths".

I didn't let their teasing throw me off, instead I just kept my serious face on. When they realized I wasn't going anywhere one of them grunted. "London Harper let's no one near his wife without his say so".

With confidence in my voice I stated. "I have business with Mrs. Harper. If you let her know I'm here I assure you she will see me".

Giving me a skeptical look the shortest of the three walked off to make a phone call. Within a few minutes he returned. Looking at the other men he nodded toward me. "Boss gave the okay".

Pulling me by the arm, they led me to the secret stairwell that Ari had informed me of. Once inside, I was pushed against the wall and stripped of my weapons. "You'll get these back when you leave."

I was in awe as I saw this underground world with my own eye's. It was unbelievable. I was led to a fancy office and forced into a chair. "I suggest you be smart while here if you want to make it out alive. There will be guns trained on you at all times even though you want see them".

The door reopened and my early confidence faltered. It wasn't Laney whom entered but her husband instead. He was everything I had heard about him. Tall, built, fierce looking and eye's  almost an inky black color. Danger poured off him. He came to a stop in front of me and the men yanked me up. He extended his hand and I shook it nervously. "Harper" he said with a killer's smirk.

"Jax Owen, detective".

"Yes, I'm aware of who and what you are".

Going around his desk he took a seat and pulled a cigar from a golden box then extended the offer to me. I didn't smoke but I feared he'd be insulted if I refused. Looking at the three men, he dismissed them with a wave of his hand. It seemed he was taking his time as he lit his cigar and took a series of small puffs to get the smolder going. "Why are you here?"

"I need to speak with your wi.."

I was cut off before I could finish my sentence by his deep voice. "No one speaks to my wife. If this concerns your little arrangement, I know all about it. You will speak to me, besides Laney is under the weather at the moment".

Fuck, I thought. I decided to just lay it out. "I want my sister".

"And you will get your sister once you fulfill your task".

"The thing is Lan.."

He stopped me right there. "It's Mrs. Harper, show respect".

Clearing my throat I back tracked. "Mrs. Harper hasn't been in touch lately. I was wondering what is to be done".

Stubbing his cigar out he leaned up. "As I stated earlier, she is not well. I understand your in a hurry to reunite with your sister. Have my word that she is safe and being well cared for, better than her previous captors treated her anyways. However there has been some changes in the plan that my wife discussed with you".

Losing my cool I growled. "The hell..." but before I could say more a gun was pressed to my nose. That's how fast London moved.

"Do not come into my world and disrpect me. You nor your sister mean a damn thing to me. If it wasn't for my wife thinking we needed you your skull would be laid open right now. Understand?"

Taking a deep breath I slowly nodded. "Yes, yes. I'm sorry".

Shooting me his killer's smile once again he tucked his gun away. "As I was saying, the plans have been changed but you will do a few dirty deeds for me to assure your silence and to keep you from snooping where your bound to get killed".

"What deeds?"

"I'll be in touch soon to discuss them as of right now you don't need to know".

And just like that he dismissed me but I had to know so my mind would ease. "Samantha, is she okay?"

Giving me a dead stare he snorted. "Something's aren't your business and best left alone. But yes, she's fine. That's all you need to know".

Nodding I opened the door and he spoke again. "Word to the wise, I'd leave Samantha alone if you enjoy living. My son want be as nice as I."

On my way out I couldn't help but think what a smug bastard he was, scary but smug.

As I was opening the door to my place I was suddenly shoved inside. Reaching for my gun I turned and saw Ari with tears in her eye's. "Ari, what the hell?"

"I'm sorry but I seen you at the Den and I don't know what bullshit he fed you, but it's not true. It's gotton bad Jax and I need you more than ever. Demarco beat me the other month and they are holding my father captive, torturing him daily. I don't know what to do".

Before I could speak Ari through herself in my arm's weeping and continued. "Samantha was forced to marry Demarco and she's being held in his place. I haven't seen her in weeks. Laney is very sick due to her husband being so violent".

She continued to sob as my mind tried to make sense of the huge cluster fuck my life seemed to be now. I recall Laney telling me that most of what Ari says is a lie. Right now I didn't know who to believe. The main thing was getting my sister and making sure Sam was safe.

As I was lost in thought Ari attacks me with her lips and to be honest I needed this form of distraction right now. Relenting I kissed her back and soon we was wrapped up in my sheets.