Chapter 3 | Victor

I couldn't sleep. I looked over at the clock. It read 4:00 AM. I sat up in my bed and threw off my sheets. I couldn't do this anymore. The little boy was scheduled to arrive today! There was no way I couldn't be excited. I climbed down the ladder and set my bare feet onto our cold wood floors. The halls were dark as I stepped out of my room. 

The tile floor of our kitchen was freezing against my feet. Gathering the supplies to make hot chocolate I turned around to see my mom walk into the room. "Couldn't sleep huh?" She asked walking across the kitchen to the cabinet. "Yeah. I'm too excited to meet him!" I said bouncing up and down on the balls of my feet. "Here you go!" She said smiling at me as she handed me my favorite mug. "Spasiba!" I said placing the kettle on our stove. 

We lit a fire in the living room and drank our hot chocolate. I sat on my mom's lap as we wrapped up in warm wool blankets.

Yuuris POV

"Hey! We're here" My social worker called. I already knew we had arrived but I didn't want to leave just yet. I knew that the family wouldn't accept me. Not many people knew my family's heritage outside of Japan but I knew the family would try and figure out my past. For some reason, people are obsessed with the past. Why? I have no clue.

"Come on Yuuri!" My Social Worker called pulling me and my backpack out of the car. "Thanks for the ride!" She said paying the bill before taking my hand. I looked up. The house wasn't as small as the other houses I had been at and it looked very small, quaint, and warm. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash of blue and silver dart from the window. "Who's that?" I asked pointing to the now empty window. "Oh? Someone was there?" She asked looking down at me with a curious expression. "Never mind" I muttered clutching my dog toy. For as long as I could remember I had carried this toy. All I knew was that my parents had given it to me. I had named it Vichan.

After 3 crisp knocks on the door, a tall man and a medium height woman answered the door with a small boy peeking out from behind them. The man and woman smiled kindly at me. "Hello, Mrs. Babicheva!" The woman greeted her with a short hug. "We're so glad you two could come! Come on in! We have tea, coffee, or maybe you'd like a glass of water?." 

As we walked inside I trailed a short distance behind them looking around my new 'Home'. I glanced over at the boy who had been watching me. With a jolt, I realized it was the same boy from the window. Well, no der. The boy was very tall for what he appeared to be 9 at the most. However, I've always been a little short for my age so maybe he was a normal height. The boy had beautiful silvery grey locks and bright crystal blue eyes that made me think of ice. At that thought, I buried my head into vichan as my eyes started watering remembering how my family used to skate together. 

*Flashback*

I laughed as my sister Mari fell onto the ice. She was only 2 years older than me but I was more stable on my skates. "You think that's funny?" She laughed forming a snowball with her hands. "Yeah!" I teased as I sped away from her. "I'll get you!" She called reaching out her arms in pursuit. 

I remember now. Ice skating. For the past few years, I've wanted to forget all of my past. It was just too hard for me to remember my family. To painful.

"Hey!" a voice called faintly "Hey!" the voice came into sharper focus. I looked up. The other boy looked at me, confusion and worry etched over his features. " Are you ok?" He asked. 'No.' I thought but I nodded my head anyway. I knew there were still tears in my eyes so I wiped them away. "Let's go! They're waiting for us." The boy said smiling as he extended his hand towards me.

Once again. I just nodded. 

'This is the first time a foster 'sibling' has ever been nice to me.' I thought as I took his hand. The lights throughout the house gave a golden glow making the home feel cozier and to my surprise, I felt a feeling of comfort as the older boy led me through the house.

The adults were all gathered in armchairs that looked rather comfy, there was one empty chair. It was a large red chair with swirling dark green and blue vine patterns that intertwined and twirled. "Here," the boy said helping him into the chair. "Thank you." The little boy said quietly.

"Oh?" The boy said. "I thought you didn't know English because you weren't talking!" He laughed as he sat down on the chair next to him. "No," Yuuri said quietly. "I know some English." Of course, this was not completely true as Yuuri was fluent in the number of languages from the countries he'd been placed in, but even as fast of a learner as he was, he didn't think he knew as much as he did. The boy glanced over to his parents who were talking in a language which Yuuri presumed was Russian. it was a very pretty language. 'Similar to Spanish!' Yuuri thought as he listened to them talk. 'They roll their r's also. I'll pick up quickly.' He thought taking mental notes. "Here, child." The woman said crouching down in front of him. "I'm sure you're probably cold, so here's a warm jacket for you and some hot chocolate." She said handing him a royal blue sweater and a steaming mug of cocoa. "Spasiba" Yuuri murmured taking both. "You know Russian?" Asked the woman surprised. "No, just thank you, yes, no. She say's them quite frequently so I know that much." I said pointing to my Social Worker. "Hahaha!" She laughed. "I can see you'll do fine here?" She asked. "I guess so?" I said shrugging my shoulders apologetically. "What's your name sweety?" She asked kindly.

"My name?" I asked quietly watching the marshmallows in my cocoa slowly dissolve.

"My name is Yuuri Katsuki..."

---+=words 1087=+---