Chapter 5

Age
8

4

"I'm home!" I called as I stepped into the hall. 'What's that smell?' I wondered. It smelled good but I couldn't figure out what it was. I smelled something like onions, egg, soy sauce, and... Pork? Mom never made pork. She said it was hard to prepare. "Victor! You're home!" Yuuri called running from the kitchen. "Was school fun?" He asked earnestly looking up at me. "Yeah. School's cool. Now about that smell. What is it? It smells great!" "Oh? It's Katsudon! I made it for our dinner!" Yuuri said grinning as he pulled me to the kitchen. "Wait up!" I said laughing. "I have to put up my backpack and books first!" "Ok!" He said redirecting our route up the stairs. 

"It looks great!" I said sitting down at the table. "Thanks to mom as well!" Yuuri said clambering into his chair. 'What's up with him?' I wondered. 'He seems a lot happier and at home.' I looked around the table. Katsudon and Pirozhki. 'hmm, interesting choices but they both smell so good.'

Yuuri passed me a bowl of Katsudon. I looked down to see a golden porkchop on top of eggs peas and rice. Taking a bite my mouth was overwhelmed with the flavor. "вкусно!" I exclaimed smiling at Yuuri and mom. Mom looked very please but Yuuri just looked confused but at the same time curious. "Delicious," I explained and he just nodded. "おいしい," He said picking up his chopsticks he brought with him. I didn't know what he said but it probably meant the same thing.  Yuuri's chopsticks were quite beautiful. They were a scarlet red and decorated with a golden dragon encircling the entire chopstick. At that moment Dad walked in. "Hello father," I said. He isn't my real father, he treats me like his son but he tends to forget we're here. He works really hard and we often don't see him. He's my stepfather, my real father lost his rights to claim to be my father 5 years ago when he abandoned us. He insisted that I call him Father instead of dad, daddy, papa, pop, etc. He says it describes his role better than other words. He is a father figure, not my dad. 

After we had all eaten and were full and content, Mom spoke. "Did you know that Yuuri is now registered for school? He can start tomorrow if he wishes." "Really?" I asked sitting straighter. "What year is he in?" Father asked. "He placed as a year 4." My mom said softly. 'WHAT?!' my heart stopped. 'Yuuri? Yuuri katuski a 4-year-old placed in his entrance exams as a 4th year.' "That's... amazing!" I said. I could hear the shock still in my voice. 'Is that why he was so happy? Proving he was smarter than me?' I felt anger starting to form in my stomach. I couldn't help but feel betrayed. "I decided to move into the 3rd year!" Yuuri announced proudly. 'What?' Victor felt all of his emotions drain from his body except guilt. How could he? Yuuri deserved to be in the grade level he needed to be in. He should only feel pride for his little brother. "I'm going to go do my homework now," I said leaving the table. "Thank you for dinner, Yuuri, Mom. it was delicious."

As I climbed the stairs I heard a soft voice call my name. "Victor?" Yuuri asked. "Are you mad at me for being so smart?" "What no!" I said turning around to look at him. "I'm very proud of you! I'm just really surprised." "Can you help me? I'm not tall enough yet to make it up the stairs all the way." Smiling I walked back down the stairs. "Thanks!" Yuuri said smiling happily at him. 'I can't help but smile back' I thought bending down to pick him up. 'He's just so innocent and happy.' 

"Here you go!" I laughed placing him back on the ground. "Can I hang out with you?" Yuuri asked looking up at him. "Of course you can." I agreed ruffling his hair. He laughed. That sound was like music. Pure, innocent, and adorable. "I have to study for my English test." I said. "Think you could help me out?" "Sure!" Yuuri said his eyes brightening.

I wanted to tell Yuuri about my Japanese class but I really wanted to keep it a secret.

YUURI'S POV

I watched silently as Victor went over his vocabulary for this week and practiced translating Russian to English. I learned some words and phrases from just watching him do that. I am after all a visual learner.

I looked over all of his grammar practice and spelling and it turns out Victor's not as good at spelling as he is translating which honestly doesn't make sense to me. But I explained it to him and told him the grammar rule he was missing and he understood. It was nice to have someone to help and be able to trust them to help you as well.

This is what school is like? 

Tomorrow I will join Victor in his classes. Victor doesn't yet know this but I'm in almost all of the same classes.

"Goodnight Yuuri," Victor said tucking me into bed. "Victor?" "Yes," he responded glancing over from where he was seated on my bed. "Can I sleep with you?" I asked. I didn't mean for it to sound weird, but I like being around Victor. He's always so nice to me and he loves everything about me. "Yeah, It's fine with me. Come here." 'Why?' I wondered. I was happy right here. I followed his instructions anyway. Victor took my blanket and slung it over his shoulder and helped me up to his bed. Flipping onto his bed I looked around. His bed had light blue sheets. His pillow was a shade of gray and his blanket was black. Together it created a nice contrast against the rest of the room. His bed was quite warm and it was surprising because no one had been up here. 'What's taking so long?' I looked over the edge at Victor. "Are you coming up?" I asked. "Yes, Give me a minute. I'm trying to find something." He called. 'I wonder what he's doing?'

VICTOR'S POV

I was honestly surprised that Yuuri wanted to sleep with me. I didn't expect much but when he said it, it caught me off guard. 

'Where is it?' I thought as I shifted through his bed. "Aha!" I picked up Vichan. "There you are" I whispered. "Found it?" Yuuri called down. "Yeah. I'll be up in  a second." I positioned all of the items I was carrying so I could climb up the ladder without risking a fall. Climbing into my bed I saw that Yuuri was sitting by the wall watching me with his large brown eyes. "Ok. I'm here." I said Rolling onto my back. "Look who I found!" I said proudly, pulling Vichan out from my pocket. "Vichan!" Yuuri squealed hugging his stuffed toy tightly. I chuckled at his cute reaction. "I'm tired Yuuri. Can you go to bed now?" I asked smiled, yawning. Yuuri simply nodded and curled up beside me. I wrapped my arms around his small body and pulled him closer. I breathed in his warm scent it reminded me of cherry blossoms and vanilla.

"Victor!" Yuuri called. 'huh?' "What is it?" I asked blinking the sleepiness from my eyes. "We have to get ready for school!" Yuuri said bouncing up and down. "Oh yeah, It's your first day," Victor said sitting up and stretching. "Alright, let's get you down," I said climbing down the ladder and then reached up and picked up Yuuri. "Yay!" He exclaimed running out of the room to the stairs.

"You boys have a nice day!" Mom said sending us on our way to the bus stop. Walking hand in hand I led Yuuri to the bus stop and reviewed his schedule.  "So my classes are all near you classes so if you wait outside your class till I get there I can help you there," I said pointing to my schedule and his. "At least for a day or so till you learn the locations."

Once I got Yuuri to his first class I walked to my Science class. Today was a good day.

---+= Words 1394 =+---

Yeah... This one is a bit longer as well. Ima go to bed now. See ya ppl. I have tests tomorrow