Ch. 1 Amelia Duchannes

People are like snowflakes, each one of us are unique, no two are exactly alike. We all have our special quirks that make us who we are. There are people who are overly honest, always telling the truth, even to his or her own detriment. Then there are some who constantly quote favorite movies and t.v. shows. My quirks are a little different from biting my lip when I'm nervous or smiling when I'm telling a lie. I have powers, if that's how I would describe them.

The day I was born I was placed on the footsteps of an orphanage. I guess my parents thought I would have been to much to handle. As I aged Mrs. Norris, our caretaker, noticed how unalike I was from the other children in the orphanage. It could be because I have bright golden eyes, but I think she finally noticed how peculiar I turned out to be on my fifth birthday.

Sarah Jane is a blonde hair, blue eye barbie doll who thought everything went to her. And lucky for me I share the same birthday with her. When we turned five she received a new dress and a doll that had on an exact replica of her new dress. I opened my gift to be greeted by a porcelain doll with golden eyes and long dark hair. Sarah Jane noticed my gift and snatched it from my arms. Long story short, I made the doll break and the glass from the porcelain doll shatter.  A big chunk of it got stuck in her face. They didn't have proof that i did it but there is no explanation as to why the doll would shatter.

My life in the orphanage was a living hell after that, no one would talk to me and when they did, they called me freak or witch. On my tenth birthday, two men came to the orphanage looking to adopt. If Mrs. Norris had it her way she would have kept me up in my room in the attic until the men leave but lucky for me that's not how things work. The man with the ginger hair noticed me first and he knew I was the daughter he wanted. At least that's what he told me when we arrived at our new home. My life has been improving greatly ever since.

I never dreamed of having two dads, but I wouldn't change them for anything. The only thing that was a downer of having two dads was when I started my period. Papa Cameron was out buying groceries and Papa Mitchell was teaching me the piano. He freaked out, I cried, it was just a traumatic experience for both of us. Of course Cameron and Mitchell have no idea about my powers and I try to keep it that way. Mitchell is a doctor and he is not a believer of mythical or unexplained things. If I showed them my powers who knows what Mitchell might do.

School was the only thing I could put on the downside on being adopted. At the orphanage Mrs. Norris taught us the things she said we would use in life. When I started school I was completely lost and cheated on most of my works by reading the teachers thoughts. I know, bad idea but its not like anyone knew. I soon started studying and by the time I reached high school I could do tests without reading minds. I didn't have any friends in school and Cameron always tried to encourage me to be more outgoing and Mitchell always explains that i'm just shy and will grow out of it soon. But here I am seventeen, almost eighteen, years young still friendless and now moving to a small town named after a utensil.

Something about this town seems to be pulling me towards it. It feels like a strong magnetic pull. Who knows what's in store for me once we arrive.

"Lets go Amelia, time to leave." Mitchell, my dad, yells from downstairs.

I wave my hand to close the last box I had left to pack and run down the stairs. Good bye Atlanta, Georgia, hello Forks, Washington. Here comes Amelia Duchannes.

*Author Note*

Picture on side of Amelia played by the beautiful Lily Collins!