High Stakes

Karen froze at the scene in front of her, having just walked in through the front door.

     There sat Stevie and Robert on the couch, Stevie's legs sprawled over his lap as she sat at the opposite end of the couch, her back against the arm. Her laptop was in her lap, her finger pounding furiously at one key and she looked about ready to explode. She had never seen Stevie so focused on technology before.

  Robert was scrolling through his phone, a lot more peacefully, a smug smile on his face.

   "What is going on here?" She questioned, breaking the silence

   Stevie didn't respond, her eyebrows furrowing in frustration. Robert smiled up at Karen, a smug look on his face. "I'm winning."

     Karen raised an eyebrow. "What?"

   "You are not winning." Stevie quipped, not lifting her eyes from her computer once.

   "The hell i'm not."

   Karen just shook her head, sinking down on a chair. "What's going on?"

    Stevie still didn't respond, her eyes glued to the screen. Karen turned towards Robert who figured he'd be more responsive.

    "We're in the middle of a bet."

   "On?"

   "We're waiting to see how long it takes the world to figure out we're together."

   Karen raised an eyebrow. "Most rockstars travel the world." Robert rolled his eyes. "Don't you two have to actually say something to the press until it can actually be confirmed you're together?"

   The two of them paused, looking at each other conflicted. They hadn't really thought of that.

    "We're just waiting for the rumors to start."

     Stevie nodded in agreement, refreshing her page once again.

   "What are the odds?"

   "Stevie said a week, I've got two days."

   "I go with Robert."

   Stevie looked at Karen offended. "Karen!"

   "Stevie be realistic. You haven't been with someone in ages, and the fact that it's Robert Plant? I'm surprised you're not already confirmed."

   Stevie rolled her eyes. Robert jumped in his seat excitedly, showing is phone towards Stevie. "I win."

   She looked at him wide eyed. Glancing at his phone she read the article.

   "No you don't, they said we MIGHT be together. That's not a definite."

   "What's the difference?"

   "It has to be an official report."

   Karen intervened again. "For it to be official, one of you has to actually say it's official."

   Stevie frowned. "We really didn't think this one through."

      "I've got an idea." Karen pipes up, the two of them looking at her in interest.

   "You have an interview together this Wednesday right?"