Set In Stone

The band had taken a short break, gathering around the lunch table the staff had set up.

  Stevie had grabbed a bottle of water, bringing it up to her lips. A sparkle had caught Mick's eye, a wide look coming across his face.

   "Stephanie Lynn what is that?"

  Stevie scrunched her forehead together, sipping on her water. "What's what?"

  Mick gracefully took her hand, lifting the finger that held the shiny diamond. He looked at her wide eyed, a coy grin coming across her face. She drew her hand back, grinning.

  "Stevie has Robert proposed?"

     She just smiled, nodding.

  "Love! Why wouldn't you tell us?" He was obviously excited, catching the attention of the other two band mates.

   "What's going on here?" John had wandered over, Lindsey lingering behind. Things were still tense between the two.

   "Stevie's engaged!"

   "Well how about that, Robert wrangled you in?" John grinned, pulling her in to a tight hug.

  Stevie smacked at his chest playfully. "Nobody wrangled me in."

   "I'm happy for you Nicks."

  "Thank you."

   "Congratulations Steph." Lindsey dimly spoke out, his hands shoved in his pocket, avoiding her gaze.

      Stevie smiled sadly at him. "Thanks Lindsey."

    The mood had faltered, Stevie clearing her throat. "I don't want to make this all about me, let's get rehearsing yeah?"

   "Good idea love." Mick squeezed her tight, breaking away and heading towards his drum set.

  Stevie noticed the sad look on Lindsey's face, swallowing the lump in her throat as she stood up to the microphone.

..........

    Stevie dug through her purse, making sure she had every item. She froze in her tracks seeing Lindsey hunched over, his shoulders shaking.

She didn't know if she should turn around and run, or approach him.

Pushing past her nerves, she choose the latter. Taking a deep breath, she crept up behind him, laying a hand along his shoulder. "Linds?"

Lindsey quickly stiffened up, wiping his tears and squaring his shoulders. "Hey."

   "What's wrong?"

     He shook his head. "Nothing."

   "Bull shit. Don't lie to me."

   More tears flooded his eyes, his voice shaking. "Stevie I am so sorry."

   Stevie shifted uncomfortable, taking her hand off his shoulder.

   "That man on the plane was not me. I keep replaying it over and over in my head, I blacked out. I hate myself."

    Stevie swallowed the lump in her throat, fighting off her own tears. "I know it wasn't you Lindsey."