N i n e t e e n

I awoke in a pair of strong arms, yet I immediately knew that they weren't the ones I longed for, as I didn't feel the sparks. They were Ethan's. My fingers slowly made their way to my lips, the hazy memory of Ethan gently kissing me danced in my mind.

I watched him as he slept and I couldn't help but think that I'd maybe made a mistake. Ethan was still here for me, not judging me whilst my "boyfriend" left us on a break the minute I told him the truth. I was the same person; I just had a dark past and unfortunately, Grayson couldn't see past that and I couldn't force him to either, it's something that the individual has to do themselves.

Ethan then began to stir, a deep groan sounding from the back of his throat that sounded incredibly hot. His morning voice then followed, which was enough to make any girl turn weak at the knees. "Morning Cass." He smiled softly, planting a gentle kiss on my cheek that erupted some newfound ripples of electricity. What was happening? I couldn't fall for Ethan again, these boys didn't deserve to be led on.

"Hi," I whispered quietly, pushing myself up and getting out of bed before rushing to the bathroom to get ready for school. I wasn't really ready for school, well, I wasn't really ready to face Grayson again since we became no longer lovers. My outfit was simple, some leggings and a cropped top, and my makeup was minimal due to the low motivation I had due to my bad mood. Although I was in bad spirits, I couldn't suppress the smile that formed as I took in my appearance. A couple of months ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of wearing such an outfit yet now I felt comfortable and I only had two twins to thank.

I ran downstairs to the kitchen to find that my breakfast had already been made.
"I know it's not healthy but don't think about that, just eat it. You need this comfort food." Ethan smiled, causing me to nod slowly as I stared at the deliciously sickly breakfast. It consisted of 2 heated pop tarts, topped with ice cream, chocolate chip cookie dough and Nutella. I slowly sat and as soon as the first spoonful entered my mouth, it was though my arm was accelerated and spoonful after spoonful entered my mouth until the plate was completely clean.

I stared at the plate in horror as realisation dawned upon me, I had no self-control. Looking at Ethan sheepishly, I was slightly disappointed to see the amusement that was etched onto his features. This wasn't funny, I couldn't allow myself to fall back into my old ways so easily. I had to be stricter on myself.

"Come on." He smiled, grabbing his car keys before walking out to wait for me in the car. Grabbing my bag, I followed him, sitting in the passenger seat, not saying a word which Ethan noticed immediately, of course he did, he'd been my best friend for years.
"What's up? You have nothing to worry about Cass. Grayson will come round and until he does, you still have me, just like the old days." He assured, resting his hand softly on my knee.

The small sparks caused my eyes to meet his and I found myself leaning in and kissing him before I thought everything through. He responded immediately, kissing back softly yet passionately until I quickly tore myself away.
"I-I'm sorry!" I choked out, suddenly getting worked up and worried. Hurt flashed across my best friend's features until he covered it with a smile, "Hey, it's cool. Don't worry..." He said quietly, starting the ignition and driving us to school.

Ethan and I had experienced silent journeys together as sometimes, it was nice to just have a little peace before school, today was silent, but it came with an uncomfortable awkwardness that we had never had to experience until now. Luckily, the ride to school was short and as soon as we arrived, I quickly shot out of the car and to my locker, where Grayson was stood.

He had large bags under his eyes as though he hadn't slept and his messy hair supported my prediction. He glanced around restlessly as though searching for someone and once his eyes met mine, it was as though something clicked in his mind and he quickly walked off.

With a sad sigh, I forced myself to continue forward, pushing aside any emotion that was fighting to push through. I grabbed my books from my locker and turned to get to class when I crashed against a large, hard chest.

I looked up at the guy and my eyes widened in fear, Colton Jones. He had been a guy who wasn't a bully yet always had a mean name to call me in the corridor and although I knew that he'd never physically harm me, his large, broad figure always scared me, because he was definitely capable of it.

What shocked me however, was that instead of calling me the usual "fat ass" or "walking cholesterol", he smiled, a genuine smile.
"Hey babe, we've just met, no need for you to fall for me." He winked as I frowned at him, we've been in the same Biology class for 3 years! What was he on about?

"We haven't just met, moron." I snapped, my eyes instantly widening at my new-found confidence.
"Trust me babe, I'd remember a face as pretty as yours, and a body as banging." He smirked as I felt myself throw up in my mouth a little.
"Well then, why wasn't my face pretty when I was the fat ass?" I questioned my eyebrow rising as it was his turn for his eyes to widen. Now, a crowd was forming around us and Colton laughed nervous as they awaited his next words.

"Cassidy Jenkins? I was just joking, it was a dare, you're still ugly and fat..." He declared as everyone started laughing.
"And you're still a dîck." I smiled, kneeing him in the Crown Jewels before walking off, catching Grayson watching me with a small smile on his face.

*****
End of chapter!
Go Cass!
Please vote and comment as it means the world to me!
-Ky 💜