28 - love is powerful

Cassie's POV

That was was it.
I would never see my mum again.

I sat in there in disbelief. So much had happened.

At least the twins actually had a chance of living now.

The surgery started about 45 minutes ago. I am so worried. What if it doesn't work? My mothers death will be in vain.

I don't know what I would do if Ethan and Grayson don't make it.

I finger the bracelet my mum gave me, going over the engravings with my index finger.

All of a sudden, my nurse comes in.

"Hey Cassie! The twins are in the recovery room- do you want to go and see them?" She asks.

"Yeah! Are they both alright?" I question.

"Grayson is perfectly fine, he can be discharged today. Ethan seems to be having a harder time adjusting to the transplant." She says.

Oh my gosh. I really hope Ethan will be okay.

"So are you coming?" The nurse asks me. I nod in response and she gets out my crutches.

When mum went into surgery, the nurse had taught me how to use them already- so it wasn't too hard to start using them straight away.

I hobbled over to the door, which the nurse had propped open.

I then followed her down multiple corridors until we got to one with the sign 'Recovery Unit'.

She opened the door to one of the rooms, and lying there, was Ethan and Grayson.

***

Tears immediately flooded out me, as all of the memories started coming back.

I look over at Ethan first, he is surrounded by doctors.

I then turn my head to Grayson, who is sitting upright, with a nurse beside him.

"H-hey Gray. Are you.... alright?" I ask, struggling to get the words out. It was a bit awkward, because the last time he saw me, he tried to kiss me.

"Yeah, my stomach hurts a bit, but I think I'll be alright." He says, looking down.

"What happened to you?" He asks, looking at my casts.

"Don't you know? I was the other driver." I said, still in complete disbelief.

"Oh. My. Gosh. Cassie! You were the other driver? Oh my gosh. Cassie I'm so sorry. I really really am-" he begins, a few tears following his jaw line.

"Gray. It's all my fault. Don't worry. You don't need to apologise." I say. It wasn't his fault. It was mine.

"No. Cassie. It's my fault- don't do this to yourself. Can we please start over? I'm so sorry about how we left off." He says, his eyes pleading for forgiveness.

"Awww how could I say no to that face!?" I exclaim. I Lean in for a hug, and he hugs me back.

I then turn to Ethan.

He lies in the bed, completely still. Oh my gosh. My eteeweetee. I did this to him.

"Cassie, we're just going to get some medicine for Grayson. Please stay here and call us immediately if anything happens." The doctor says, before leaving the room, followed by the rest of the nurses. I nod in agreement and get closer to Ethan.

I touch his jawline, following all of its depth with my finger.

I move my finger to his cute button nose, and tap it.

I then remove my finger from his face, and look at his muscles, before scanning his entire body.

Damn. He was so good looking. He could do so much better than me.

"Ethan. I'm so sorry babe." I say, even though I know he can't hear me.

"I don't know what I would do without you Ethan." i say, wiping a tear from my cheek.

I move my hand to his, and hold it.

"I love you E" I say.

Suddenly, I feel something tighten over my hand.

I look down, and see Ethan's hand gripping mine tightly.

I look back up, and see Ethan's chest moving up and down, slowly.

His eyes are moving a little too.

"OH MY GOSH! DOCTOR! NURSE! ETHAN'S ALIVE! MY BABY IS ALIVE!" I yell.

"OH MY GOSH CASSIE IS HE REALLY?" Gray yells back.

"YES GRAY OH MY GOSH I CANT BELIEVE IT!" I say, just before a whole load of doctors come in. They surround Ethan, whilst I go talk to Gray in the meantime.

"Cassie, you literally just proved that true love exists you know," he says, smiling.

"Ahaha, I guess I did!" I say back.

"Cassie, the doctors told me someone donated both of their kidneys to me and Gray. Do you know who it was?" He aks me.

I pause for a moment and bite my lip.

"It was my mum Gray." I say.

"Oh my gosh, Cassie. I'm so sorry." He says , hurt filling his eyes, as he pulls me in for another hug.

I hug him back, and explain how she was already sick.

He pulled me in for another hug when I hear something behind me.

"C-Cassie?!"

I whip my head back and I see Ethan sitting up.

My eteeweetee is alive!

I run to him and pull him into a hug,

This was it. Everything was going to be fine.