1.5

"Hey Emelyn," he said my real name, not a nickname. "I'm sorry about Saturday night."

I shrugged it off and turned away from him, turning my phone on.

"No. Really, I'm sorry." He said after realizing I wasn't going to answer. "I was a jerk and I canceled. I'll understand it if you don't forgive me."

"Ok," I say looking in his direction.

"Seriously?" He asked. I nod and scroll through Instagram. "You're not going to forgive me after one stupid night."

Didn't you just say you'd understand?

I ignore him, scrolling through slime videos.

"Wow. That makes you such a coward. Just because another girl texted me so I canceled our plans." Oh. Why didn't I see that coming?

I immediately stopped scrolling. A surge of anger and sadness erupted in me.

I take a deep breath. Brent is a child of God.

I stand up from my chair, the screeching quiet compared to rage screaming in my head. "I'd rather be a coward than a misleading jerk. Have a good night."

------

I tossed to left, then the right, then back to the right. Wait, no, back to the left. Or maybe I did toss back to the right.. then the left, and then on my back. 

Well, it didn't matter. I pushed my equations to the -almost- back of my head. I lay there, staring at the ceiling looking for an answer coming from the bumps on the top of my room. 

I still heard an "I'd rather be a coward than a misleading jerk. Have a good night," on repeat. I'm so stupid. Why would I say that? Why couldn't I have said something smarter, like just a simple 'Have a good night,' or 'You're more of a coward and jerk than me.' 

I'm probably just being petty for taking this so seriously. I roll over and check my phone, Tuesday 1:39am, some hours after Brett and I's encounter. I stared at it for a minute, 1:40am, then got up and put socks and shoes on. I stroll over to my parent's room. 

"Hey, I'm going to go get some food," I whispered. 

"Food? Now?" 

"You know how you get hungry at different times in the day?" My dad laughs at me and sighs.

"Don't get in trouble." I could hear the smile in his voice.

"I won't. Love you!" I heard an 'I love you' back and headed down the stairs in the dark. I grabbed the keys and left the house, locking the door behind me. I opened the door to the car and sat in the driver's seat for a long moment. 

I shouldn't go, I should go back to sleep. But, I was actually hungry. But, I shouldn't go, I have food in my kitchen. 

I swallow my thoughts and back out of the driveway. I start to drive down the road and turn right down the entrance of the neighborhood. From afar, I could see a car, swerving. I  start to slow down, I did not want to crash into another car. 

I guess the driver in the unusual car thought differently. He was alone. He was drunk. He was Brett?

All of a sudden, darkness crowds my vision, and pain surrounds my body.

*******

I-

CLIFF HANGERRRRRRR

I'm scared for Emelyn, but this story needs a big problem. 

So, put your big girl/boy panties on and we're going to get through this together. 

Thanks so much for so many reads. It makes me want to write more :)