Gaining Luck

Meet Kate.

   I have never considered myself normal... Ever since childhood I have known I had absolutely no luck whatsoever. I mean it couldn't have been just an unhappy coincidence  that everything I owned crashed and burned  under my touch. I got used to it though...By the age of nine nothing could have let me down anymore. I didn't cry when my brand new bike got crashed by a car in front of me, and I only gasped once when  my favourite  pair of earings got lost.

    My name is Kate, but everybody calls me Kat, which comes from "the black cat". I guess I pretty much am a black cat... I bring bad luck to all the people around me. I think that's why I got accepted in the cheerleading squad last year. Maybe they thought I would bring bad luck to the opponents. And even though I'm not one to brag, I must admit I'm doing a great job. A single glimpse in the direction of the other team and they're fucked. Of course, I'm not actually cheerleading for our team... That would be simply suicidal...

      The only good thing about my life right now is that I just turned 19 and that means that I need to hang on just a little longer and then I can really start living.  Probably far away from my family but let's be  honest! I have caused them enough trouble so far. I'll miss mom and dad and even my stupid half brother (who is just another surprise from my father, and whose mom is a lame excuse of a parent), but I'll be fine, and so will they.    

       After all, they can always have another brown haired, brown eyed baby girl and, unlike me, she might  even have a little bit of luck.

       Now meet Lucas.

      "I have no future...".I don't know why I keep telling myself that. I know just as well as anybody that I do have a "spectacular" future  and a lot of potential...  Not a choice though... I always said something  was missing... My free will that is...

      I'm looking at my reflexion in the mirror and I can't find any resemblance between the image I see and  myself. It's disturbing to look into a pair  lifeles pale blue eyes.

     I am momentarily taken aback by the way my dark hair looks like and by the way Jimmy's jeans and  T-shirt look like on me. A small stubble grew on my chin and started to spread on my cheeks but I don't  feel like shaving right now.

         I turn my back to the sink and stroll out of the bathroom.

         The phone starts ringing on the bedside table and I reluctantly pick it up and check the caller's ID. Great! This is just the 17th phone call  I get from my father. " This man really needs to get a life!" I told  myself while answering his call.

         "Where the hell are you, Lucas? I've been trying to reach you for-"

        "Yeah, yeah, I know. I went on a little vacation with Jimmy and Lydia. Now, could you cut me some slack?" I grabbed my clothes from the chair near the door and started getting properly dressed.

         "Son, are you-?"

         "No, dad, I'm not." I hang up and after I put my leather jacket on as well I started for the door. It was the  time to get on my Harley and  head back home. Back to reality... Back to my huge bank account and  my Audi SUV and the museum I lived in.