Reading between the lines

Everything got back to normal a couple of days after the prom -if 'normal' is the right word for how  things were going right now.

     My mom and dad knew nothing about the night I had spent with Lucas, and neither did Nick. It's not that I  wouldn't have told my parents, but they've never asked -about that specific subject- and I had decided that  there was actually nothing to tell. I was in bed before they woke up -so that they didn't worry- and that was  all that mattered. Nick, on the other hand, paid me a visit the following morning requesting for details and apologizing for being too drunk to take proper care of me -that's what he said anyway. I knew that  he was actually trying to make sure that nothing happened between me and Lucas and after I assured  him that I had been brought straight home,the look of relief on his face confirmed my suspicion.

    Now, three days later, I was on my way home from school after four awful hours of being in an exam -Thank God it was the last one!-thinking of nothing else but my applying letters to Columbia, Harvard  and Yale -given the fact that I was supposed to receive some answers soon enough. 

      I also had to think about applying for an internship over the summer somewhere, but I would do that  later. I had my head  wrapped around too much already.

     Tossing my bag on the floor and taking my shoes off, I strolled to the kitchen. Nick and mom were  both sitting at the table laughing at something. I cleared my throat trying to catch their attention.

     "Hi, darling!" My mom said grinning.

     "Hi! What's going on in here?"

     Nick stood up and made his way to me. He scooped me up in his arms and started spinning us  around.

      "I'm in, Kate! I've been accepted to Columbia."

     I started clapping my hands and jumping around like a little child.

     "That's great, Nick! Congratulations!"

     "Here!" He said handing me an envelope. "Your turn, princess!" He added taking a bow.

     "The other two are here as well, darling, but he insisted on opening that one first." My mom pointed  to the two letters on the table.

     I opened the envelope Nick gave to me with trembling hands and stared at the word 'accepted'. I was  in...

     "So?" Nick asked me.

     "I'm in too..." My voice was barely a whisper. Nick's smile widened and he scooped me up into his arms  again.

     "That's great! We'll be at the same College."

     "Here, darling!" Mom said handing me the other letters. "Open them up!"

     I opened both letters at once and took a deep breath before looking them over. Crap!

     "What do they say, dear?"

     "I'm... in."

      Mom let out a sigh of relief and nodded proudly. "I'm so happy for you, sweetie!"

     "Thanks, mom!"

     "I have a nerdy best friend. That's so cool! But you're still coming to Columbia with me, right?"