Business dinner, encounters that can change your life and fine wine

Kate's POV

      "Ok... Everybody's ready? Remember that this is an important evening. My career depends on it."

       I rolled my eyes at dad. It was the fourth time he was saying that. And probably he understood the message because he started climbing out of the car and in just a few moments we were at his side.

       It wasn't until we started walking that I realised how elegant my parents were. My dad was wearing a tuxedo and a black bowtie and he was simply charming for a 46 year old man. My mom, on the other  hand, she looked spectacular in a long, fitted, black silk dress and a pair of black Louboutin pumps. Of  course the jewelrys she was wearing were just as beautiful as the rest of the outfit, but what else could you expect from a woman with really expensive tastes? And everything was completed by an amazing chignon. Too bad it was so obvious how tired she was.  

      I was nothing like them though, or... almost nothing. I only had my father's dark hair -even though I've always prefered my mother's blonde one- and a bit of my mom's silhouette.        

      Tonight I was wearing a designer pale blue cocktail dress and a pair of nude sandals. My hair was cascading over my shoulders and the only jewelry I was wearing was a pair of silver, diamond earings. Some would say I looked beautiful, but I wouldn't use exactly that word.

     Two bellboys opened the door for us and we entered a huge dining saloon. There was only one table in the middle of  the room that was surrounded by waiters. I suddenly felt small and wanted to bolt, but  there was no escape from this one. My father glanced at me and I tried to relax. How bad could have it  been, after all?

     Three very extravagant women, all wearing long evening dresses and flashy accessories, were seated  at the table, babling about God knows what. The three businesslike men at the table were now kissing my mother's knuckles and exchanging pleasantries with my father. I  waited for mom and dad to take a  seat so that I could sit next to them, but I ended up at the opposite side of the table, next to one of the three noisy women.

     There were only two seats left and I wondered idly if they belonged to the man trying to buy the company my father worked for. The Fuller Company was about to be sold for a huge amount of money and with a  little luck, my father could keep his job as well.

    The orchestra started playing Sinatra's Witchcraft and one of the couples at the table stood up and  started swaying on the dance floor. At the same time, the doors to the saloon opened again and two tall, imposing men started for our table. The age difference between them was obvious, but they both gave  the impression of two strong, immovable men. I found myself staring at the younger one, who was probably about my age and absolutely gorgeous. 

   He was wearing a navy blue, pinstriped suit, a black tie and a white shirt, all of which were only  highlighting his athletic construction. It was as if he was the reincarnation of Adonis himself. He had short, dark and slightly curled hair and the most amazing pale blue eyes I've ever seen. Crap! I was still  staring! What the hell was wrong with me? 

   I teared my eyes from him and tried to focus on something else, but of course that was impossible... My eyes refused to listen to my commands.