Practical romance

From the very first knock at the door I was on my feet. Nick had called me earlier today and told me he was coming over so there was no doubt that he was the one knocking right now.

       "Hey, stranger!" He stepped in giving me a quick hug and placing a kiss on my forehead.

       "Hi!" Right before I closed the door I saw a black SUV parked across the street and a chill ran through me. Yet, I stepped back and turned my attention to Nick. "So, what's up?"

       "Huh? Sorry, I'm a little light headed."

       "Yeah, I noticed..." I smiled sarcastically and Nick seemed to blush a little. "Is everything okay?"

       "Everything's fine, it's just... I don't know how to say this."

       "Say what? Come on, Nick! You're freaking me out."

       "Are you going to the prom, Kate?"

       I frowned hearing his quesion. I didn't know. Never really thought of it. Was I going to the prom?

       "Um.... I don't know."

        His eyes widened slightly and he seemed surprised by my answer.

        "Well... Will you... come? With me?"

        Now it was my turn to be surprised.

         "Me? What about Coraline? Or Jenevive? Or Mary? They are all crazy about you. They'd do anything  to go with you."

        "Kate, is this your nice way of saying 'no'? Because I'd rather you just..."

        "No. It's my way of saying 'are you sure?'. I mean, think about it! You are one of the hottest guys at  school and I am 'the black cat'."

        At that he actually started laughing.

        "Don't worry. I know what the risks are. Trust me, I thought about it. But honestly now, I'd rather spend the evening with my unlucky best friend than with a bunch of mindless chicks."

       I smiled down at him and decided to go for it. He was right. We were best friends and best friends go toghether at this sort of things.

      "So? Is that a 'yes'?"

      "Ok. Why not?"

       His face turned pink and his eyes started to sparkle.

      "Good. That's great! I'll pick you up tomorow around eight."

      "I'll be ready."

       Nick kissed me again and left.

      The black SUV was still there and I decided it was the time to set things straight.

      The rear passenger door opened and Lucas Carter smiled at me from the inside. He invited me in with a  wave of his hand, but I didn't comply immediately -I kept remembering how the last time we met ended  up.

      "Come in, Kate! I won't bite." He said matter of factly.

       I wasn't afraid he'd bite. I was afraid I would. Christ! I couldn't trust myself around him.

      "Kate! Please... We need to talk."

      I climbed into the car by his side and he seemed to relax.

      "For how long have you been out here?"

     "A while... I'm glad you finally decided to come out and talk."

      "About what?"

      "Well, we can start with talking about the business lunch you'd missed."

      "I couldn't be there."

       He went silent for a moment.

      "I wanted to see you..." he muttered.

      Me too, but I fought that urge and so should you.

      "I had school."

      "Right..."        

       Now he sighed and I had to grip the chair, not to get closer to him.

      "Ok, Kate... What if I make you a deal?"

       I looked him in the eyes trying to see what was coming, but he kept a neutral face.

      "It's obvious that we're both attracted to eachother. The way we act around eachother, the way the air between us charges everytime we're close, the way your body responds to my touch..." He leaned in and  tenderly stroked my cheek and my body tensed. "See? I told you."

      I sucked in a deep breath and moved back a little. Lucas frowned, but moved back as well.

      "Why are you always running from me?"

      "I'm not running now."

      "You know what I mean..."

      "Maybe because I don't trust myself around you." My voice's level wasn't above a whisper's, but he had heard me and his eyes darkened.

      "I don't trust myself alone with you either. You have no idea what I'm going through right now."

      I couldn't stay still any longer.

      "Ok, look! Let me take you out tomorrow evening."

      "I can't..."

      "Come on, Kate! Be resonable! I promise I'll behave."

      "No, I really can't. I have to go to the prom tomorrow evening."

      "Perfect! What time should I come to pick you up?"

      "No, you can't come with me."

      "Why not?"

      "Because, firstly, you aren't a student of our school, and secondly, I already have a date."

      He lifted his eyebrows and slightly opened his mouth to speak, but he ended up saying nothing.

      I opened the door and climbed out of the car without saying a word either.

      This day couldn't get any worse. I thought while walking to my room.