Love, lies and other "l" words

I woke up feeling sick for the fourth time this week and ran to the bathroom.

      "I'm going to Jen today. You should come with me." I turned my head and saw Lucas standing in the doorway.

      "No, thanks. I don't miss her." He gave me a bitter smile.

      "I don't doubt that, but you should see a doctor."

      "Why? I'm fine."

      "Yeah, right... I'm not blind, Kate."

      "It's probably just stress."

      "Even so, you should see a doctor." He came next to me and helped me stand. "Kate, you either go see a doctor, or I'm bringing a doctor to see you here." That would've been a little difficult since my parents expected me to be back from my "business trip" today, but I didn't tell him that.

      "Fine. I'm going to see a doctor,"

      "Good, then, Let's go!" I turned away from him and started washing my face.

      "Not now. I'm gonna go later." Coming behind me, Lucas grabbed my hand and turned me so that I could face him.

      "You're coming with me to the hospital now and I'll come with you to see your doctor." I opened my mouth to talk him out of this, but he stopped me. "I don't wanna hear it. We'll do this together." I released my hand from his hold and stepped out of the bathroom. Of course he came after me. "I mean it, Kate. Get ready! We're leaving in five." I did as I was told, because honestly I was too tired to argue anymore.

      In no longer than 15 minutes we were back at the hospital.

        "Do you wanna see your doctor first?" Lucas asked once we got inside.

        "No, it's fine. Let's go see her first." Truth to be told, I wasn't exactly excited about seeing my doctor.

        "Ok." He nodded.

       Jenifer Calahan in front of us was nothing like the one she used to be. She was thinner, paler and most of all... scared. She had a weak smile on her face that grew bigger once she saw Lucas. I decided to stay back.

      "The doctors think it's a baby girl." I felt sick again, but refused to cave in to my feelings. "I thought about Rosie for a girl. What do you think?" I felt twice as bad when I saw Lucas smiling. He turned to look at me and his smile vanished.

     "I can't take that sort of decisions and you know it." Jen's smile vanished as well.

     "Right... But if it's yours, I mean..."

    "No, Jen. We've been through this already. You'll have everything you'll need for the baby, but that's all." He seemed sad and hurt by his own words.

    "My baby will need a father." She whispered and that was it. I couldn't stay any longer. It was too much. So I ran... Out of the room and out of the hospital. Jerry climbed out to open my door, but I ran past him and climbed into the first cab I could find. I was panting, feeling lost and sad and sick.

     I don't know how I got home, because I can swear I didn't tell the driver where to take me. My mom was taken by surprise to see me, that's for sure, but my tears told her not to ask me anything.

    "I'm leaving mom." I said, still holding her in my arms.

    "Where?" She whispered and I heard the tears in her voice.

      "Harvard..." Lie.

      "When?" I noticed she was avoiding the 'why' and that made me love her even more.