Divide et impera

I was watching the Carolina Herrera silk faille strapless gown hanged in front of me incredulously. I guess I should've seen it coming... Whenever mom visits Neiman Marcus I get a very expensive dress I've never asked for.

"Kate?" Oh, no... She was on her way to my room and I wasn't ready. God help me! "Kate!" My mother pocked her head into my room and gave me a hard look. "Why aren't you ready yet? Nick will be here at any moment." Is it only me, or do you have a deja vu feeling as well? Anyone? "Come on, Kate! Hurry up! Get dressed! Me and your dad, we're ready." I gave her an apologetic smile and proceded at getting dressed. My mom was wearing a Herrera herself and her blonde hair was gently brushing her shoulders. Seeing her looking so perfect had me checking my own reflection in the mirror again. My hair was all gathered in a beautiful, messy, greek chignon and my lips were scarlet. I didn't pay too much attention to my awfully pale skin and to my tired eyes -because that's what you get when you don't sleep for two nights in a row.

My mom was standing right behind me zipping up my dress. Once she was done, she started caressing my hair, looking at both of us in the mirror. She seemed really proud and I started wondering what she would have thought if she knew what I'd done.

"You're beautiful, Kate! You've turned into an amazingly beautiful woman." My eyes started tearing up and I had to smile.

"Don't get all emotional on me, mom! I'm not wearing waterproofed mascara." She smiled, then took a cheque book out of her clutch.

"Here! You'll need this tonight. I'll donate with your father." Right... The charity ball... That's where we were headed... I was just about to ask her how much I should donate when she said: "Just give as much as you'd like. No limits tonight." She smiled at me again, showing her perfectly white teeth.

"Honey!" My father called from downstairs. "Nick's here, so we should get going." I took a deep breath, put on a pair of black Valentinos and started heading downstairs by my mother's side. Nick was looking amazing, just like usually. He was wearing a white Calvin Klein suit, a black shirt and a perfect black bowtie.

At the bottom of the stairs, dad took mom's hand and Nick reached for mine. I knew we were making a good couple and I also knew that no matter what, Nick still loved me. All I had to do was say a word and he would do anything for me. And, for the love of God I wished he wouldn't. Because hurting him was killing me.

The ball was taking place at the famous Waldorf Astoria and the money would go to the abused women and their children. Two hours later we were making our entrance into the Empire room. The organizers welcomed us and a young waiter took us to our table. I took my seat next to Nick and took a look at my parents.

"Look, darling! There are the McKaynes. Let's say 'hello'. Kate, Nick, do you mind if we leave the two of you for a moment?" I shook my head at my mother, knowing how much she enjoyed socializing at this sort of events, and off they were. She was a natural among these people. Sometimes I wished I was more like her.

Lana del Rey's Million dollar man was playing in the background and for a moment I thought of how appropriate the song was. Here I was, surrounded by dozens of them.

A little rumour spread all the way from the entrance to us and I stood up to see what had started it. And I saw...

I started shaking, being too cold and too hot at the same time.

"Kate? What's wrong?" Nick had stood up as well and he was lightly holding my hand.

"I'm fine." I hurriedly said. Nick wasn't buying it. "Really, I'm fine. Can you bring me a glass of wine, please?" The smile I was sporting was all sweet and kind. This time... Nick fell for it.