Sleepless nights

I spotted Kate from the moment I set foot into the bar. She was seated on a bar stool, still wearing the pale pink office dress she had been wearing when I last saw her. Her hair was slightly tousled and her body seemed limp. I made my way to her, brushing up against one of the waiters as I did so. The petite blonde looked up at me and slowly smiled. I absentmindedly gave her an apologetic smile of my own, keeping my eyes on Kate all this time.

    "I'm really sorry for that, sir!" She cooed.

     I snapped my head in her direction, already feeling diabetic from all the sweetness in her voice.

     "Excuse me?"

     "I said I'm sorry, sir." She mumbled awkwardly.

     "Oh! Yeah... No problem. I'll just go now." My dismissive tone took me aback. I had no idea I could be so blunt and rude. What was happening to me? Stupid question... Kate was happening to me. 

    When I reached her, I tentatively stroked the back of her neck. She tensed and the air filled with electricity. She knew it was me -her body had told her that, even though she couldn't see me- and her reaction was, as always, beyond any expectation. She slowly turned toward me and eyed me suspiciously for a moment.

    "Done so early?" She asked, her voice venomous.

     I raised a brow, missing her point. She raised a brow as well, a knowing smirk playing at her lips.

    "The gym session with Ms Calahan?" At this, I had to laugh. "What's so funny?"

    "You... I ditched the gym session for a bar session."

    "How nice of you..." I could feel the sarcasm in her voice.

    "How much have you had to drink?"

    "What do you care?"

    "I'm not gonna ask you again, Kate." I warned.

     She sighed and took the glass in front of her to her lips. "Four, maybe five of these... I don't know for sure..."

     "And what is that?" I asked, unable to contain my anger.

     "I think they call it a 'Screwdriver'. What do you say?" She smirked at me, obviously pleased with herself.

     "I say you had enough. Come! I'll take you to bed." She started giggling and I couldn't help my smile.

     "Don't make promises you can't keep." My mouth slightly parted and my eyes darted to hers. "You said you're waiting for me to make up my mind -which, by the way, I have already- and I haven't told you what I decided yet." She blurted out.

     That got my attention even though I knew she was drunk. I decided to play along. 

     "You don't want to play that game with me, Kate." I warned for the second time tonight. "I can keep things from you as well."

    "You see, Lucas? Sometimes, the look in your eyes tells me you are keeping things from me. And I also have a good idea as to what those things may be."

     No way in hell she knew what I've been keeping from her, or we wouldn't have had this discussion now -She would be long gone.

     "Oh, yes?" I asked, taking a seat next to her. "And what is that?"

     "Come on, Lucas! I am not blind. I can see you're in love with Jenifer Calahan, and that's ok..." Her voice trailed off. "You don't have to lie to me anymore."

     I shook my head and smiled a bitter smile.

     "After all this time, and after everything we've been through, you still think I'm playing games..." I glanced at her shocked and wounded expression.

     "But it only makes sense. You are perfect for eachother."

     "We're far from being perfect for eachother."

     "Why did you break up?"

     I sighed and signaled the bartender. After I ordered a drink, I took another look at Kate and thought about what I should say to her. I didn't want to make Jen look too bad.

      "She cheated on me with my best friend." In the end I settled for the truth. I didn't want to lie to Kate any more than I had to.

      Her eyes widened and her mouth popped open.

      "But that's awful!"

      "Yeah..."

      "But... But she seems to love you. She wants you back for sure."

      "I know, but I don't." I downed my whiskey on the rocks and gave Kate a wry smile. "That part of my life is done. Jen is just a friend now."

      Kate nodded and seemed pleased with my confession.

      "Since we're being honest I need to ask you something."

     "Ask away!"

     "How the hell can I get you out of my system? The alcohol wears off, ignoring you is impossible... What the hell am I supposed to do?"

     I couldn't help but laugh.

     "I don't know, but we'll find something. Now please let me take you to your room! It's late..."

     She yawned and nodded and I found that adorable.

      "I am sort of tired..."

      I took her to her suite and after she changed into her pijamas -which were incredible btw- I put her to bed. She clawed at my shirt and I had no other choice but to lie next to her. Her head ended up on my chest and her breathing evened out. I knew I wouldn't sleep tonight -afraid I might move and wake her up- but I couldn't care less. I could take another sleepless night, if that's what it took to hold Kate in my arms through the night.