Down memory lane

"Take us home, Jerry!" Lucas said once we were in the car. "Will you come with me?" He asked, turning to face me. "I know I've never asked for that before, but I need you." I nodded and Lucas gave me the smallest of smiles.

     "How was Jen?" I asked trying to get him to say something.

     "Can we talk about this later?" He eyed the driver and I understood he wanted some privacy -or that's what I thought. The car pulled up in front of a huge victorian house and we both climbed out. Lucas led me to the front door and guided me through what seemed like a tunnel. We ended up in the kitchen and he went to the bar in the corner grabbing a glass and pouring himself a copper coloured liquid.

     "Will you tell me what's wrong? And don't you dare tell me nothing's wrong. I can see you're not fine."

     Lucas took a sip from his glass and went to the closest chair. After sitting down, he gave me that tired, angry look that was giving me the creeps.

     "Do you remember what I've told you three weeks ago?" Of course I remembered. Three weeks ago, he was abducting me from a charity ball, to take me into the middle of nowhere and tell me he loved me. That is the sort of things you don't forget, so I nodded. "Well keep that in mind, please." He stood up and took my hand. "Come!" The tunnel again, then a bunch of stairs and then his bedroom. "Here." He sad pushing me towards the bed. "Take a seat." I did as I was told and sitting behind me, he wrapped his arms around me. "Promise me you won't hate me!"

     I frowned and turned to look at him. Lucas seemed truly sad.

      "I thought I made it clear I could never hate you. Never!" I said, emphasising the 'never'. I thought about the new information I had about my accident. If that couldn't make me hate him, nothing could.

      "Jen's pregnant." He whispered, then closed his eyes as if in pain. I didn't see anything wrong with that at first, but looking at him one more time, I finally understood. It wasn't only that she was pregnant... Lucas was afraid he might have been the father. My mouth slightly opened, but I tried to keep my composure.

     "I thought you said you broke up with her." My tone was accusatory.

     "I did." He seemed hurt by my words. "Three months ago." He bit out.

     "Then you can't..." I started to say, but his even sadder look made me stop. "Can you?"

     "She's been pregnant for four months and a half. She said she wasn't going to tell me, but that her accident made her change her mind."

    "What accident? She just fell on a bunch of stairs." I didn't want to sound mad or sad or sour, but that's exactly how I was. "So there's no doubt you're the father, right?"

    He sighed and closed his eyes again. "That's what I thought at first too, but, after going down memory lane a couple of times I've realised that...Actually, there are some doubts. I've told that you she cheated on me." That made me feel a little better.

    "Then why doesn't she make a DNA test? A paternity test, or whatever..."

    "She said she wants to wait. She said that if the doctors took a DNA sample now, they would endanger the baby." I took a deep breath trying to keep my tears from falling.

     "So you need to wait five more months to see if you're the father?"

     "Yes." He turned his face from me and that made it hurt even more. I was twiddling my thumbs in a lame attempt to calm down.

      "I have to go." I said standing up.

      "Please don't!" Lucas said standing up as well. "I need you. You're my one and only, remember?" He was panting. "I understand that you hate me. I told you , you would. And I know that I'm selfish, but I need you to stay. I can't go through this alone. Please, Kate!" My head was spinning and my stomach was churning.

     "My parents..."

      "I'll talk to them. Please!" I sat on the floor feeling defeated. Tears started rolling down my face. Lucas sat next to me and pulled me into his arms. "I'm so sorry, Kate!"

      "I've always tought I would be the one you'd have kids with."

       "Me too, Kate! I swear I didn't want this to happen. You'll still be my one and only, no matter what." I believed in his words, but that didn't stop me from feeling sick. Before I knew it, I was in the bathroom throwing up all the meals I haven't had today. Lucas was right by my side, seeming worried. His broad, muscular body seemed tired and broke. "I'm so sorry, baby." Once I felt better, he bent down and picked me up in his arms. "I'm here. I'll always be here for you, baby." He took my clothes off and laid me in his bed. After getting undressed as well, he came next to me , pulling me into his arms again and holding me tight. I will always remember his last words from that night. I think they're the ones that led to what came next. "I don't care about that baby nor about Jen, Kate! You're the only one I love. I will never love that baby, as long as I'll have you."