Pleading guilty

I was awakened by a continuous buzzing noise coming from my cell. When I couldn't take it anymore, I  started fumbling for it on my bedside table.

   "What?" I barked at the one calling me.

   "Are you ok, princess?" I heard Nick's worried voice through the phone.

   "Nick! Hi! Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry for yelling at you. I just didn't know you were the one calling."

   "Right..." There was doubt in his tone, but he didn't push it. "So, how's your first day?"

   "What?" I asked yawning.

   "Your first day... at 'work'? How is it?"

   "Oh my God!" I gasped and jumped out of bed. "What time is it?"

   "A little past nine..." Nick answered.

   "Oh, fuck!" I hissed and started getting ready.

   "Princess? Will you tell me what happened?"

   "I'm fucking late, Nick. I'm an hour late. Crap!" I cried into the phone.

   "Oh, God! And what are you gonna do?"

   "Get ready, grab a cab and hope like hell that by the end of the day, I'll still be working there?"  I heard  Nick's soft chuckle and somehow that made me angrier. "Do you find it funny?"

    "Of course not, Kate, but you must admit that this is unusual."

    "Look, Nick! I'll just call you later, ok?"

    "You'd better, princess. I want to know how it all went."

    "Sure. Bye, Nick!"

    "Bye, Kate!" He said in a mockingly grave tone.

     I hang up and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

     When I was finally done, I got out of the house, thinking of nothing else but finding a free cab. "Oh, God! You must be kidding me!"  I moaned when I saw the familiar black Audi  SUV pulled up in front  of the house. The driver got out and opened the rear door for me. I smiled  at him and he gave me  a curt  nod and a warm smile.

     To my surprise, we arrived at the Carter Building in less than ten minutes. I quickly climbed out of the car and tugged at my twill skirt until I  straightened it up. I stole a quick glance at the window glasses façade  of the building and then made my way in. The elevator ride was one of the worst in my entire life, but  then, beggars can't be choosers -and I was already late enough to even think about using the stairs.

    The elevator doors slid open and my breath caught in my throat. Lucas was standing right in front  of me, glowering at me. I felt my body starting to tremble and the color draining from my face.

    "Good morning, Ms. Mullin! May I have a word with you in my office?" His words were a low and  dangerous growl.

     I followed him to his glass enclosed office. He strolled to his desk and after pushing a couple of  buttons the door locked and the glass turned black. Lucas started pacing the room, frowning from time  to time.

     "Do you even want this internship?" He asked me all of a sudden.

     "Of course I do."   

     "Then why the fuck were you late on your first day?"

     "I'm sorry. I slept in." He let out a humorless laugh.

     "You slept in?! Do you have any idea how many risks I took when I gave you the internship?"

     "I'm really, really sorry!" I whispered, a tear trickling down my cheek.

     "God damn it, Kate!" He said through gritted teeth, then came towards me. He put his fingers under  my chin and lifted my face to his. "Stop!" He said, his voice still a little harsh. "Please, Kate!" Lucas  pleaded. "I can't bare seeing you cry." His jaw visibly clenched.

      "I'm really sorry, Lu -Mr. Carter."

      He smiled a little and sighed. "I'm sorry too, for screaming at you." He dipped his head and kissed my  forehead. "Come! I'll show you to your office."

      "Thank you." I sniffled. "I promise it won't ever happen again."

      "Let's hope so." He sighed and took my hand in one of his. "Oh!" He breathed, turning back to me. "I  hope you don't have any plans with your boyfriend tonight. We have a lot to cover."

      Lucas smirked and headed for the door still holding my hand.