Some new old friends

Lucas's POV

     "Close the door, Joseph!"

      Oh, Great! Daddy was in a bad mood... That made two of us.

       "Look, dad...!"

       "Shut it, Lucas!  I'm not interested in your excuses."

       "Really? Then, what is it that you're interested in, dad?"

       "I'm interested in getting your ass kicked at the moment, but as I am quite sure that would do no  good to the cause, I'm rethinking my  interests. Now sit!"

        Dad pointed to the chair in front of his desk and I strolled over to it.        

        "What I want you to do for now is keep a little discretion about what had happened. You'll go out with  your mates, you'll join me to business lunches, dinners and maybe even brunches, and most of all, you'll do anything humanly possible to stay out of trouble from now on. At least until things settle down a bit... Deal?"

        I nodded in his direction and stood up. I needed some time of my own to clear my mind.

        "Thanks... I owe you one." I mumbled while I was heading for the door.

        "No, you idiot, you don't owe me a thing. You're my son. I would have helped you even if you didn't  ask me to. That's what parents do for their children."

       He then turned his back on me and poured himself some scotch. I opened the door and started for  my room. There was nothing left to be said for the moment.

      The door to my room was slighly ajar and a light was coming from inside. I warily stepped in, not knowing what to expect. And after such a day, can you honestly blame me for being too cautious?

      I was dumbfounded the moment I understood what I was looking at. It wasn't much of a surprise that my crazy ex was waiting for me in my bedroom, half nacked -case in which, under different  circumstances, this might have ended up with a sleepover party-but I must admit that her timing sucked.

       "Fuck, Jen! What are you doing?"

       "I'm sorry, Luck! I've been such an idiot!"

        Crap! I was way too tired to argue with her.

      "Listen to me, Jen! We broke up three months ago, so I think it's about time for you to move on. I did..."

       She slowly came toward me, taking her bra off.

     "Come on, Luck! I admitted I made a mistake. I'm sorry! Please...!"

     "First of all, stop calling me that. I have nothing to do with any "luck", I guarantee you. Secondly, I have already forgiven you but that changes nothing. And thirdly, I'm really tired and not in the mood for a scene. Please, get dressed and leave."

      Jen pouted and dropped to her knees right in front of me, trying to unbuckle my belt. I grabbed her  upper arms and pulled her up trying to keep eye contact with her all this time.

      "For God's sake, Jen! This wouldn't help! You need to stop thinking of sex as the answer to all of your  problems. Why are you actually doing this? You're a good girl."

      "I love you, Luck! Please, don't push me away just because of a stupid mistake."

      I sighed and closed my eyes in a lame attempt to calm down.

      "Luck...?"

      "Shut up, Jen! Just shut up!"

      My voice was harsh and I heard her gasp of surprise. Too bad she couldn't do what she was told...

      "But..."

     "No, Jen. You think the fact that you cheated on me with my former best friend is just a stupid mistake  and it's not. It's a huge one. A mistake I have forgiven, but can't forget. Now, if I'd be you, I'd leave already, since you're simply not welcomed here any longer. Don't make me ask you again."

       My cool scared me. The events of the day had really affected me, appearently.

       "Fine, I'll leave, but first, can you please answer me a question?"

      "I don't see why not..."

      "Did you leave the other day because of me?"

      This was a simple question -her efforts to get me back were indeed one of the causes-, so I didn't hesitate.

     "You were one of the reasons."

    She nodded, tears pooling down her face, and turned towards the bed, where her clothes were. I laid on the other side of the bed and I must have snoozed off, because when I opened my eyes again, Jen was gone.

 Kate's POV

     Flowers everywhere, boxes of chocolates and cards? What the hell? Where were all this coming  from?"

    "The cheerleading squad has just left, my dear. They came to check on you."

     My mother appeared out of nowhere and started talking, like everything was perfectly normal.

    A huge red roses bouque caught my attention, while listening to her.

    "Those were brought in a couple of hours ago. They're from Nick."

     "Oh..."

      I turned my attention back to the small TV in the room, without listening what my mom was saying  anymore.