sixteen: the forest

I woke to noises of footsteps hitting the ground and the crunch of leaves. I opened my eyes alerted and sat up. I looked around the woods hearing the sound again. I whipped my head to where the sound came from and got up. The trees moved behind me and I quickly turned my body to the source and slower approached the tree only to have a small animal jump in my direction casing me to fall on my back. I groaned in pain and glared at the small white rabbit that looked at me. I scoffed and got up, brushing myself.

I looked up at the crescent moon on the sky. I thought about going back but I only walked further into the forest. Finally there was a clearing but only a small area where the tress circled around and the grass were neatly trimmed. Something touched my leg making me jump and yelp only to see the white rabbit again. I shooed it but it only stood at its place. I rolled my eyes and sat down with my back on a tree. I brought my knees near my chest as I counted to look up.

There was a small nudge again and the rabbit sniffed me, groaning I pushed it away, "Don't make me eat you" I warned flashing my eyes to Athena's. This seemed to work as it went hopping away.

The wind howled and the trees rustled, I closed my eyes hearing everything. There was another noise to my right and I guessed it was the rabbit once again so I didn't pay any mind to it. But the noise was louder and it was approaching faster, I looked to my right and stood up. On my left was the rabbit coming back which meant that the noise wasn't from it.

Slowly, a figure presented themselves into the darkness, they approached in my direction. I squinted my eyes hoping to catch a glimpse only to fail.

"Who is it?!" I raised my voice but the figure kept walking in my direction. Slowly, the light from the moon shined on them. I could see familiar honey brown eyes, pale skin and brunette hair. Enough for me to recognise her. I stood in shock as she approached me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked hastily trying to approach her but stopped myself. She looked down and smiled slightly.

"Casie told me you were somewhere in the forest" She whispered delicately, and hearing her voice eased my heart.

I stepped away from her but she only did the opposite as she continued to take a step forward.

"Lamia please you shouldn't be here" I warned shaking my head. My eyes lowered to her arms wrapped in bandage and it only reminded me of earlier.

"I looked for you, you know?" She asked filling the silence in the night. I sighed and bit my lip before looking up at her.

I nodded, "I know" I answered and looked away from her.

"But you didn't come" I could hear her footsteps approaching me. I sighed and directed my eyes at hers, "I didn't".

"Why?" She tilted her head to the side looking at me, she was really close that I failed to utter a word.

I sighed trying to keep my composure, "Because..." I trailed off looking away at her. I groaned out in frustration and took a deep inhale.

"Can you not see that I can't be with you" I reasoned where each word tore my heart, I can feel my throat tighten and the tears threaten to fall. I took a step back again and attempted to walk away before turning back at her figure that shivered in the dark, "Lamia, I will never deserve you" I whispered shutting my eyes.

I heard her footsteps approach me again while I stood still but slightly weakened on my knee. My eyes widened as I felt her arms embraced my figure, her cold hands clutched together on my stomach as she buried her face on my neck.

My chest pounded loudly, I sighed as tears fall down the side of my face. I could hear her sniff as her tears also started to fall.

"Please don't say that" She whispered and my heart was fully torn apart. I slowly turned around watching as she looked up at me. The moonlight was shining on her eyes shading them lighter. Her tears were like crystals falling down and her features glowed as the moon shifted its light on each of her features. I awed at the sight brokenheartedly, bringing my hands on her cheeks and resting our foreheads together.