seventeen: my kingdom

next day

I opened my eyes to see a breathtaking view, Lamia laid next to me and both of us only separated by a small gap. She had her head rested on my shoulder as my arm draped around her waist. I let out a sighed, oddly feeling a sense of contentment in her embrace. I carefully twisted my figure to look outside the window, seeing light still outside. I didn't realise our tiredness made us sleep until the afternoon though, I couldn't complain not remembering the last time I actually slept in complete comfort ever since I took the throne. No nightmares, it was as if I felt what rest really was, and it was nice.

I sighed again facing her gently placing a gentle kiss on her cheek before carefully getting out of bed but only failing as her grip on me tightened. Her soft fingers tightened themselves around my arm before softening once again. I stopped in my movement and looked back, feeling relieved once I saw that she still had her eyes closed and after a while I attempted to get up again. This time managing to get out of her grip carefully. I draped the white blanket on her figure finding the breeze in the room cold,goosebumps formed around my skin as they felt the chill of the weather out of the blankets. I sat on the bed looking outside and stood up stretching as I walked over the window seeing the workers of the castle hastily working, I smiled at the sight seeing workers of the castle help one another and watching them simply engaging made me realise that I hadn't taken a time out of my day to appreciate their presence. I realise now that their presence around me was never burdening, it was comfortable.

I looked in the corner of out chamber and noticed that there wasn't a single dust in the tiniest spot of the room, knowing that it was cleaned and they were once present in that very corner was something I had forgotten. Corners simply don't clean themselves. I turn my attention back to the workers and hope they could feel my gratitude, that i was thankful and that I hope they understood how easy it was to get lost in your own world when it rested on your shoulders.

Lost in my thoughts until I heard a quiet knock on the door. I turned around and realised I also forgot to close the door seeing as Maximus stood outside, he bowed slightly and lifted his right arm and gestured somewhere in the hallway. I nodded my head grateful that he remained quiet, he bowed again before leaving shortly. I sighed quietly walking towards the three mirror in the room and decided to change my wrinkled clothes.

After a few minutes, I walked out of the large closet I had forgotten I had in my room, wearing a pair of brown loose pants along with white blouse, and for the cold I had a brown coat that fell straight down on my sides. I tightened the black belt around my waist and fixed up my blouse. Looking at my figure in the mirror, I was satisfied. I glanced towards Lamia who remained peacefully sleeping, and tiptoed outside making sure to make as little noise as possible. Once I was outside, I could see Maximus talk with a worker and once he saw me I put my hand up and carefully closed the door on my chamber. I approached Maximus and the worker, then both bowed as the other left.

"Your Majesty" His tone was low and steady, his eyes  stared into my own and I could see him hesitate as he opened and closed his mouth, he finally cleared his throat, "The South have launched another attack and this time it is in our kingdom" I gripped my hand tightly at the thought of more innocent people in the kingdom dying.

"Any survivors?" I asked walking side by side with him as we made our way to the throne. I fastened my pace and scrunched my eyebrow.

"Yes but only a few families, and children" I closed my eyes almost as if I could hear their desperate screams to live, I stopped in my movement and turned my head towards Maximus who was looking down. I shook my head and continued walking.

"They are at the throne room awaiting your arrival" We quickened our pace in silence and not long before we reached the familiar large doors. I rested my hand behind my back as we entered watching as people inside bowed and waited until I sat on my throne. I waved and all stood tall once again.