8

Re-written 05/2022

****

So it's Saturday and I'm freaking out in a good way. I was going with a steak dish like he asked, not sure what side dishes I would like to go with it, but the steak needs to be done to perfection. I'm like the girl you read about in novels or watch in those cliché rom-com movies. Going complete bonkers over a guy that one guy. Everything needs to be done to perfection. I sense someone in the doorway; I look up to see Miguel standing in the doorway staring at me. Great just what I need, a pair of eyes watching my every move while I cook. I begin seasoning the steak trying to ignore him, but it's not working.

"Yes, Miguel?"

"Nothing, just watching how you are preparing the steak that's all," he shrugs his shoulder. I've never spent time with Miguel and I think this is the perfect time to do so. To get to know Chase's left or is it, right-hand man? Either way, maybe he can give me some insight on this new Chase.

"Do you want to help me? I can use some help actually."

"Sure," he walks into the kitchen heading towards the sink. "You know I was hoping you asked me to help." he washes his hand. I'm so thankful I didn't have to tell him to do so.

"Why is that?"

"I love steak and this is your first time making it for us."

"So you don't think I know how to season." I turn around looking at him.

"Uh—I didn't say it. You did." He chuckles.

"But that is what you were thinking. I have cooked for you on many occasions; my food is always seasoned to perfection." I turn back around and continue to season the steak; I feel his presence beside me. "You can go cut the potatoes."

He tells me he is fine watching me seasoning and I roll my eyes.

"Please Miguel go cut the potatoes or you can leave. I don't need you hovering over me. I am already under enough stress with this dinner tonight. So please don't start."

"Are you having a meltdown?" He raises his hands backing away from me. "Look, I think you are doing a great job on the steak, I was only teasing. Please don't cry."

Cry? The guys in this house always think I'm going to cry. I know I'm a female but every little thing they say—that they think is harsh, I'm going to cry. It's starting to get annoying real quick.

"Miguel you can leave now." I roll my eyes pointing toward the door. "I just need you to leave."

"Charles, I'm sorry."

"Nope, you can leave."

He shrugs his shoulder, walking out of the kitchen mumbling incoherent words under his breath.

****

Two hours later dinner is ready. I do what any girl in my position would do, invite her best friend over for moral support. Raven didn't miss a beat when I asked to come over. She came over so fast that I thought she was waiting outside the house all along. Everyone is seated at the table—correction, everyone but Chase. The guys text him multiple times and he hasn't responded. I didn't want to start eating without him, but it's been twenty minutes and no one has heard from him. After everyone complained about not wanting to wait and deep down inside I couldn't wait either, we started to eat dinner.

Giggling from the foyer caught everyone's attention then the glass broke. The guys tell Raven and me to stay in the kitchen and they will be right back. We stay in the kitchen for one minute and then we go see what the hell is going on. The vase of flowers is on the floor and Natalie is clinging to Chase. She is drunk and by the look of it, Chase seems to be intoxicated too. Natalie wraps her arms around Chase and nuzzles her face into his neck.