10

Re-written 05/2022

The bonfire isn't what I expected, which is a good and bad thing. I thought everyone would be chill hanging around mini bonfire pits, but everyone was stripped down to their bikinis running into the ocean, splashing around. Raven already found a spot to ditch her clothes and she started for the ocean as well. So much for me thinking she would stick beside me. Taking off my boots, I sat next to her discarded clothes, scanning the crowd. I see a bunch of people from my cooking class and some people I haven't met a day in my life. This was going to be a long night for sure. Digging into my satchel I pull out a book, Curtis Sittenfeld, Eligible.

Every now and then I would glance up as people would pass by. Really, I was hoping to catch one of the guys. I feel out of place here, but I also wanted to enjoy the bonfire thingy too. Raven officially ditched me thirty minutes ago when she came back for her clothes to hook up with some guy she met in the water. So I buried myself in my book. Reading word for word, chapter after chapter, and before I know it the sun is setting.

"Charles?" I look up to see Darren standing over me. "When did you get here?"

I look at my watch and groan. "About three hours ago and you?"

"About the same time, were you sitting here, reading the entire time?" He scratches the back of his neck. "Come on Charles, you have to have fun. This is senior year you need to have fun and let loose. Did you do anything in college worth talking about years from now?"

I close my book and shake my head no. "I mean going to college is a huge deal within itself, so that's something to talk about, right?"

"You aren't serious, you can't be serious," he bends down to help me up. "We're going to have fun tonight and nothing you say is going to change my mind. The guys are going to be thrilled to see you." He's already shoving my book into my satchel. "Did you come alone?"

"I was here with Raven, but she met someone." I attempt to scan the beach for her. It's getting darker and more students have flooded the beach. There is no way I can find her now.

"You know," he throws my satchel over his shoulder and picks up my boots, "I don't really like Raven. She seems a bit off to me, always have and always will."

"Hey that's my best friend you are talking about and you don't even know her."

"Trust me; I know enough that she shouldn't be friends with someone as nice as you."

"What does that supposed to mean?" I look at him confused. Why is everyone telling about Raven? What the hell am I missing?

"Nothing let's get going before the guys send out a search party for me." He walks off with my things and I stand frozen for a minute thinking about what he said. Raven, has never done anything wrong to me, so I honestly don't know where all of that is coming from. Maybe I should catch up with Ariana one of these days so she and I could talk about it. "Hey Charles, are you coming?" he looks back at me.

"Yeah," I jog to catch up with him. "You don't have to carry my things you know. I can do it myself." I reach for my boots but he raises them above his head.

"What kind of gentleman would I be if I let you carry your own things?" He winks at me.

"Are you being nice to me so I can move back into the frat house?"

He coughs and shakes his head no. "Can I not just be nice?"

"You can." I shrug my shoulders and fall into step with him. "I just thought..."

"Has no one ever been nice to you before?" he looks over at me.

"Of course."

"Your family and Raven don't count. So has anyone outside of them done anything nice? Like a boyfriend?"