26

I wanted him to yell, get mad, or do something once I told him what's been going on. Yet, he did none of the above. He was quiet and stared out the window. My palms start to get sweaty as I stand in the room silently waiting and watching him. I don't attempt to speak because I don't know what else to say. He turns his head slowly towards me and I watch him—he is contemplating what to say next.

"Chase, I'm truly sorry," I say for what feels like the millionth time.

"Did you ever find our business plan?" He calmly asks me.

"Yes." I look at the floor.

"And what did you do?" He gently lifts my chin. "I'll try not to be mad if you sent it off to Dean Grey."

"I didn't." I look deeply into his eyes, hoping he can see the truth. "But I did take pictures of them on my phone."

"And..."

"I will delete them when we get back to the house. I swear."

He nods his head. "Did you tell your parents what the Dean is trying to do to you?"

I shake my head no and try to fight the tears from coming. Being able to speak about this with someone is a relief, but speaking about it to the person I was going to betray feels pretty shitty. Chase seems so calm and level-headed throughout this whole conversation and once again I'm freaking out on the inside.

"Charles...why didn't you say something--at least to your parents?"

"I can't."

"Why the hell not?"

"Because—"

"No, there is no because. What the Dean is doing to you is fucking illegal and Candance is probably behind it." He balls his fist at his side. I know I should have told him sooner because he is pissed off.

"You're right."

"And don't tell me—wait what? Did you just say I'm right?"

"Yes, I should have told at least my parents. But I didn't and—"

"You're going to tell them tonight. Once we get back to the house you're going to call and tell them." He walks out of the room and I follow behind him. This is why he and I don't get along very well, his demanding ways—it's seriously a turnoff.

"You just can't tell me what to do!" I shout at him as we make our way outside the library.

"Really?" He scoffs, shaking his head.

"Yes, really."

He stops and looks at me. I don't think any human being should be turning red like he is right now. I take a step back as he slowly raises his hand pointing his finger at me. The look on his face tells me I'm in for a stern Chase Tucker talking.

"You let the fucking Dean and his whore of a daughter tell you what to do, which once again is all fucking illegal. Yet, all I tell you to do is call your parents—fuck it Charlotte, let's go." He whisper-yells at me. He storms off once again and this time I take my time following behind him, leaving enough space between us.

My heart feels like it's about to explode as we near the frat house. I'm breaking out into a cold sweat and the pain in my side isn't helping either. Facing the other six guys is going to be harder than anything I've done before. They're like family to me and I know how disappointed they will be with me.

"Charlotte?" I look up and see Chase walking back towards me. I didn't know I stopped walking. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, my side is—ooh okay." Chase lifts me into his arms and carries me the rest of the way to the house. "You don't have to do this."